Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Year of Reading

Looking back at the past year, I realize that I've posted an impressive word total -- not in writing, but in reading. Admittedly, I've written less than I should have, but I was concentrating on revising DEADWOOD, my middle-grade novel that officially released last week (read paperback or Kindle), and on writing picture books. (Hint: If you have an impressively large word count while writing picture books, you're doing it wrong.)

So instead of measuring my year in words written, I'm taking the measure of my year in reading.I have pretty complete stats because I log my reading on Goodreads, a site many authors have a love-hate relationship with but that I only love. So here's the tale of the tape:

Number of books read in 2012 (fiction only, so far): 105
Pages read: 37,951

First book read: A Monster Calls, Patrick Ness
Last book read: Keeping the Castle, Patrice Kindl
Currently reading: Everybody Sees the Ants, A.S. King
Longest book: Monsters of Men, Patrick Ness, 608 pages.
Top author: Juliet Marillier, 10 books read
2012 debuts read: 10 
Star rating of three or above: All. If it's not good, I don't finish.

Favorites
The Wicked and the Just, J. Anderson Coates
A Brief History of Montmaray, Michelle Cooper
A Countess Below Stairs, Eva Ibbotson
Charmed Life, Diana Wynne Jones
Lives of Christopher Chant, Diana Wynne Jones
Heir to Sevenwaters, Juliet Marillier
Well of Shades, Juliet Marillier
Monsters of Men, Patrick Ness
Wonder, R.J. Palacio
Code Name Verity, Elizabeth Wein


Age Group
Adult: 19
YA: 53
Middle grade: 35


Genre
Fantasy: 65
Historical Fiction: 26
Scifi: 14
Contemporary: 8

Reading Goals for 2013
I don't have a "books read" goal because I really ought to read less and write more. Clearly I'm a bit addicted.

But I would like to make an effort to read more broadly and explore more genres and to seek out more diverse authors and settings -- as you can see in my favorites, I have a bit of a fascination with the British Isles, real and imaginary. I'd also like to read more adult fiction -- 19 grown-up books isn't bad, but it's a low percentage.

What are your reading stats from 2012? What are your favorites? Do you have goals for 2013? 



4 comments:

JeffO said...

Hmm, haven't thought to keep track of the books I've read...I may have to do that.

Jaye Robin Brown said...

I've read around 80 so far, mostly YA, a couple of adult, a couple of MG. My favorite adult was The Language of Flowers. Favorite MG was Ghetto Cowboy but I"m reading The Floating Islands right now and loving it pretty much. I can't pick one favorite YA but the most haunting was Tricks by Ellen Hopkins. Eek.

My goal for next year is to read a biography or memoir every month. I need a break from fiction.

Irene said...

That's an impressive list! I guess I read about 70 books (YA&adult)but didn't keep track of it, so that might be a good goal for next year. And reading is probably the best addiction a writer can have :-)

Kell Andrews said...

I try to take breaks from fiction, but it's more work, Jaye. Maybe that's what I need -- if reading is more work than writing, and then I will write more.