Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Suzanna's Writing and Reading Goals for 2023: January Update

 

It is that time of year where I make some new goals and check in on my progress so I can adjust. Hooray! I absolutely love making goals.

Here are my writing goals for 2023 and progress update from January:

  1. Write 100,000 words in 30 days as part of a NaNo project (Camp in April, Camp in July, or NaNo in November)
    1. Right now, this is in brainstorm mode as to what I want to write.
  2. Write at least one children's book in each category (board book, concept book, early reader, wordless, transition books, narrative nonfiction, etc.)
    1. I brainstormed but have not started a first draft yet.  
  3. Write at least one new short story.
    1. Did not write one word.
  4. Edit at least one short story from my undergrad days.
    1. I am looking for them in my paperwork piles. 
  5. Write at least one new poem each week.
    1. I wrote one poem. I am working on making this a weekly habit.
  6. Put together a poetry collection.
    1. I am looking for them in my paperwork piles to start editing and sorting.
  7. Work on the draft for writing a nonfiction book about the day job.
    1. I have not continued the draft, but I am collecting information to assist with this project.
  8. Work on the draft of the graphic novel.
    1. I am researching how others have created graphic novels, and creating a plan for how to accomplish a new draft.


Of course as a writer, I also need to read.
  1. Read at least 10 children's books in each category (board book, concept book, early reader, wordless, transition books, narrative nonfiction, etc.) and focus on one category each month and then rotate. (8 read of 60 children's books)
  2. Read at least one book of short stories each month. (0 read of 12 short story collections)
  3. Read at least one book of poetry each month. (0 read of 12 poetry books)
  4. Read at least one literary magazine each month. (0 read of 12 literary magazines)
  5. Read at least one nonfiction book regarding the day job each month. (6 read of 12 nonfiction books)
  6. Read at least one graphic novel each month. (0 read of 12 graphic novels)
  7. Read a total of 150 books in 2023. (17 read of 150 books)
  8. Participate in every Kindle Reading Challenge this year and get at least 90% of the badges. (I have earned 8 achievements so far and I am on track to get a perfect month this month.)
What are some of your writing and reading goals for 2023? How did you do in January?

No comments: