Our Mystery Agent this month is looking for any sub genre of YA, MG, and picture books. More specifically:
- Magical or inspiring MG in the vein of Savvy, The Tales of Despereaux, or Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
- Smart MG action/adventure novels, either high-concept fiction or re-imaginings of existing mythology, in the vein of Rick Riordan, Michael Buckley, and Trenton Lee Stewart
- MG or YA that hints at secret societies, espionage, film noir or high-stakes international intrigue (contemporary or historical)
- MG mysteries or YA thrillers (with the latter category being fairly edgy)
- Contemporary YA with humor and emotional resonance similar to John Green or Matthew Quick
- Intense, challenging or even gritty YA (think Laurie Halse Anderson or Jay Asher…)
- Pitches should be for completed manuscripts only.
- You can enter one pitch for one novel - if you make a mistake, just delete your entry and repost.
- Yes, you are eligible to enter even if you've won MA contests in the past.
- The first 50 qualifying pitches will be accepted - don't pay attention to the comment numbers. We will close the contest when we've reached our limit.
- If the rules (which will be posted tomorrow) are not followed, your pitch will be disqualified. Please carefully read the guidelines and follow them.
- Pitches should be one-line pitches - try not to push the boundaries on this one - Four sentences separated by semi-colons will NOT count as a one line pitch. ;)
- Anyone can enter as long as your novel falls under the genres our MA is looking for. If this particular MA doesn't rep your genre, no worries - we hold these contests often and try to find agents with diverse tastes so there will be a contest in the future for your particular genre
The contest will go live at 10 am ET/9 CT / 8 MT/ 7 PT
Stay tuned tomorrow for complete details! And good luck with your pitches :)