Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Suzanna's Writing and Reading Goals for 2024

 

Wow, I can't believe that January is halfway over already! I decided to do something a little different this year. In December 2023, I took the Heart Breathings HB90 Bootcamp by Sarra Cannon to break the year into quarters by making goals and planning projects each quarter. I've been trying for years (and years) to develop tools from others and discover my preferences with planners, tracking progress, making goals, and completing goals.

And with all those years of experimenting, I have had little success with follow through. I make all of these wonderful goals at the beginning of the year. I start off great, but then the Suzanna Train loses steam and screeches off the track. Sure, I've reached some of my goals, but I have been anything but consistent, except during NaNo. Somehow, I can do NaNo. I even made it to 100 K with my double NaNo goal in 2023. YAY!

While I am still experimenting with my planner system, I'm thrilled that I took the HB90 Bootcamp course. I can already feel a difference with the progress I've made so far on my goals. 


  • I'm not beating myself up when I fail to meet my daily or weekly to do list.
  • Each day is a fresh start. Today is a good day to have a good day.
  • It is really hard to make habits, but progress is progress.
  • Life will throw curveballs no matter how much I plan. Gotta get up.


So, I want to continue writing, reading, and making progress on my personal goals. Here goes the start of a new quarter.

Here are my writing goals for 2024:

  1. Write 50,000 words in 30 days as part of a NaNo project (Camp in April, Camp in July, or NaNo in November).
  2. Write at least one children's book.
  3. Write at least one new short story.
  4. Edit at least one short story from my undergrad days.
  5. Write at least twelve poems.
  6. Put together a poetry collection.
  7. Work on the draft of the graphic novel.
  8. Take a course on publishing.


Of course as a writer, I also need to read. Can I make it to 250 this year? I made it to 247 last year.
  1. Read 12 literary magazines.
  2. Read 12 novels.
  3. Read 12 short story collections.
  4. Read 12 poetry collections.
  5. Read 12 graphic novels.
  6. Read 12 children's books.
  7. Participate in every Kindle Reading Challenge this year and get at least 90% of the badges. 
What are some of your writing and reading goals for 2024?

No comments: