Thursday, March 7, 2024

Dear O'Abby: how do I ask published authors for advice?

 Dear O'Abby,

I was at a book launch over the weekend and the author who spoke was really lovely and friendly during her Q & A, so I thought I'd approach her later and ask some advice about how to get my own books  published since I'm a complete novice when it comes to the publishing industry.

Well, she was not nearly as nice or friendly when I caught her after her signing and asked her if she'd be willing to talk to me about that.  In fact, she made me feel like a total idiot for even asking.  I cringed out of the bookstore and went home to lick my wounds. With a pint of Rocky Road.

Obviously that was not the right way to approach a published author for advice, but what is?  Any guidance you can give me would be gratefully accepted.  I never want to feel that humiliated again.

Best wishes,

Embarassed

Dear Embarassed,

I'm sorry you had that experience.  Most authors are actually very helpful and willing to help newer writers navigate the rocky path to publishing.  But maybe this was not the right place or time to pursue the answers you're looking for.  A book launch is that author's big day, a celebration of all the hard work they have put in to get that book published and out into the world.  

If you're going to speak to an author at an event like this, it's probably best if you have bought their book before you approach them.  Even better if you've read it, or at least read something they have written.  Then you can ease into the conversation by talking about their work before you bring up your own.

Also, make sure the author you're speaking to writes in a similar genre to you.  There is no point asking a non-fiction writer about their publishing experience if you are writing novels.  The two are very different and advice you get from a non-fiction author will not necessarily apply to you as a novelist.

Have a good sense what you want for your book in terms of publishing.  An author who publishes with a small press or academic press will have very different experiences to speak about that an author published by one of the big 5.  And if they are self-publishing, it's a whole other ballgame.  Make sure what you want aligns with the author you want to approach or the advice you get is not likely to be applicable.

Make sure you have specific questions.  Do some research and learn where the gaps in your knowledge are. The broader the questions you ask, the less specific the answers are likely to be, and you may not learn what you want to learn. Go in with three or four targeted questions and you are more likely to get something you can use than if you go in with something like , "so, how do I get my novel published?"

And know when to walk away.  If an author doesn't want to engage, don't push it.  Just thank them and leave them alone. Or ask if there is a better time for them when they might be more able to speak.  Book launches can be overwhelming, especially if the author is uncomfortable speaking to a crowd.  They might be more willing to meet up with you one on one, or answer your questions by email.

Hopefully that helps!

X O'Abby



No comments: