Saturday, September 22, 2012

AMAROK-- FROM PRINT TO TRAILER TO FILM

Several months ago I started working on translating my book trailer into a professional film trailer to be previewed as an advertisement before the start of popular movies. Even though I am still in the production stages, I would like to share with you some of the steps we have taken in our journey.

First, I want to make it clear that I am not working alone. I am so blessed to have a lot of help from a professional crew of people from all areas of film, editing, directing and production experience. David Henderson is one of those talented professionals. David is a film and visionary genius from England who has had a lifetime of experience. At the start of the project David gave me some very good advice. “Think about movies that you love, consider what makes you love them. What makes them interesting? Is it the characters, the theme, the visuals? These are the elements you want to keep in mind as I’m filming the trailer. I want your input on this. ” This really started the wheels to turn. Suddenly I had many new ideas about what I wanted for each scene.

Next David and I were able to plan some of the camera angles, and draw out some of the scenes. Because trailers are visual, it was important to spend some time on the look and feel of it. I had to consider costume design. Films rely heavily on costumes to communicate character traits to the viewer. Another important design was the set. How did I want to capture the look of the film? A real location will offer more dimension while a built set can offer more control. I wanted a real location and so that is what we went for.

Lighting was another key factor to consider. Some movies feature soft, almost cloudy light that will give a dreamy effect, while a darker set will give a more ominous tone.

In the end, I hope everyone will enjoy my film trailer as much as I have enjoyed being part of such an exciting process.

Come check out my blog for updates angelatownsendblogspot.com

Have a wonderful weekend everyone and happy writing! – -Angela Townsend-

2 comments:

Alison Naomi Holt said...

Good information. I'd never thought of turning a book trailer into a film trailer. Heck, I'm still trying to figure out how to make a book trailer, but you have inspired me to try yet again to make something more than simply a trailer filled with still pics surrounded by music, although I have seen some awesome trailers done that way.

Thanks for the post!

marie said...

Sounds so good, Angie. You have done wonders to promote your work. Not an easy feat!