Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Suzanna's Intro to #NaNoWriMo #Nanotip #Writetip

 

Ah, NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is coming! I cannot believe that this will be year twelve for me. Twelve! I have so many tips that I do not know where to start. But I will start with an introduction here and a couple of tips because I will be posting about NaNo every Tuesday in November with more in-depth information.

Take a deep breath.

Seriously.

I highly recommend doing all the household chores (laundry, vacuum, whatever you need to do) and maybe plan a basic food menu to survive November. I love procrastinating with cleaning and cooking, but if you can have a clean home and the first week of meals planned for November, you can take advantage of the first week excitement and get ahead in your word count.

I tend to get the second week blues very badly every year. I start to lose momentum, something goes off plan in the writing or life, and I must dig myself out of the muck. So, I take advantage of the first week excitement and double down on word count with Reverse NaNo. Instead of 1,667 words on the first day, I aim for 3,346. Check out the word count goals here.

Every NaNo I try to innovate my approach to finding a smoother way to get through NaNo. Each novel has a notebook (no more loose-leaf paper). I clean and meal plan before November. I begin to go on a social media and gaming diet to prepare myself to make more time for writing daily. I begin to look at the region schedules to find write ins to attend, which are all virtual this year. Find a buddy to create and exchange a gift box with small gifts at word count milestones. Make it fun with candy and journals and unique gifts. It is nice to open a present someone picked for you in addition to the reward of reaching a word count milestone.

Have fun with NaNo, and it may be one of the best months of the year.

 

No comments: