Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Spotlight on New Book Debut Author Heather Truett

Operation Awesome Spotlight #20Questions in #2021 of #NewBook Debut Author posted by @JLenniDorner of @OpAwesome6


Kiss and Repeat by Heather Truett



1- What sort of book swag are pre-order readers potentially getting?

I have a sticker with a book quote, a bookmark, color-themed candies, and a quirky bike chain bracelet to send out to anyone who sends me either their receipt or proof of requesting their library order the book.

2- Would you please, in 160 characters or less, give a #WriteTip ?

Trust the process.

3- What most motivates you to read a new book?

Nine times out of ten, it is by an author I already love or it was recommended by someone I trust to know my taste.

4- What might teens be surprised to learn about Tourette's Syndrome?

There’s more to it than visible tics, and it can present in a wide variety of ways.

5- Would you share a picture with us of your book with a springy background?

6- What's one way to potentially bring more neurodivergent voices to the publishing table?

Read and review neurodiverse books. If those books are selling, publishers will seek out more of them.

7- What's your Twitter handle, and do you have two or three writer friends on there to shout-out to for #WriterWednesday ?

I’m @mmerubies on Twitter (a leftover nickname from an old writing group) and I’d love to shout out @KristyDAlley , who will be doing my launch event with me, and @Halli_Gomez , who just released a book that also features a neurodivergent main character.
We know Halli! Click for the interview from February.

8- Do you have a favorite #bookstagram image or account/ profile?

@lovelybookshelf

9- Are you a Plotter, Pantser, or Plantser, and how did you adopt that style?

I suppose I’m a plantser. I used to not plot at all, but I have learned to work out a skeleton plot before writing. Over time, I found that I write better drafts when I have some idea of where things are heading but still have space to wander.

10- What does your basic writing schedule look like, and how often do you write?

This has been different for every book I have written. For my current project, I have written 3 chapters over the space of three months, but I hope to speed up now that the semester has ended.

11- What is your favorite book by someone else, what's the author's Twitter handle, and what do you love most about that book? #FridayReads book recommendation time!

Author name: Adiba Jaigirdar @adiba_j
Title: The Henna Wars
Love because: It was beautifully written with a beautiful cover, and the food descriptions made me ravenous. LOL!


12- What emotions do you hope your book will evoke for the reader?

I hope they laugh but also remember that awkward feeling of messing up and trying to fix it and digging yourself deeper that happens to us all.

13- What kind of impact do you hope your book will have?

I’d love for at least one person to read it and see themselves in the pages.

14- What is your favorite creative non-writing activity to do?

I make Project Life albums for myself and my sister, and I love to color and play at visual art.

15- In what ways are the main characters in your book diverse? diversebooks.org #WeNeedDiverseBooks

My main character is neurodivergent, as am I.

16- What method do you feel is the best way to get book reviews?

I wish I had an answer to this one. My book was available through a couple of venues, but I have nothing to compare it to. I did reach out to a handful of neurodivergent reviewers on my own.

17- What was the deciding factor in your publication route?

I didn’t want to oversee my own marketing and cover design, etc. Those aren’t my strengths. So I have always worked toward traditional publishing.

18- What's the biggest writing goal you hope to accomplish in your lifetime?

I’d like to traditionally publish a volume of poetry and I’d love to be a writer-in-residence somewhere.

19- Would you please ask our audience a question to answer in the comments?

What neurodiverse books should I be reading?

20- Anything else you would care to share about your book and yourself?

Signed preorder link: https://novelmemphis.com/pre-order-signed-copies-heather-truetts-kiss-and-repeat

Bio:

Heather Truett is an MFA candidate and an autistic author. Her debut novel, KISS AND REPEAT, releases in 2021. She has published poetry and short fiction with Tipton Poetry Journal, Panoply Zine, Drunk Monkeys, and others. Heather also serves on staff for The Pinch.

In Heather Truett's Kiss and Repeat, a teen uses the scientific method drilled into him by his scientist father to begin a kissing experiment. Only the experiment gets messy, and Stephen will have to come clean if he wants to win one girl's heart in this heartfelt and funny YA debut.


Kiss and Repeat by Heather Truett

No comments: