Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Casting Choices & Audience Pitch Forks...

Some of the posts around the blogosphere suggest fans are ready to light the torches and sign the petitions in the "Edward Cullen has been cast" circa 2008 style. Why? The Hunger Games male leads have been cast.

Amparo did an awesome post yesterday about the casting of Liam Hemsworth and Josh Hutcherson as Gale and Peeta from The Hunger Games.  Check it out here.

You back? Good.

And she got me thinking about books -V- movies.

Casting choices for popular books are hard. No, they probably seem impossible. Three or four people have to see hundreds of actors and actresses to embody the role millions of people have read, love, hated or fought over with T-shirts proclaiming their love (Team Edward -V- Team Jacob anyone?).

The problem is that one person will never match the image of a character millions of people have created in their heads. The author gives us the tools to show their personalities, looks and voice, but I can bet the Edward, Peeta, and Gale I have in my head are nothing like you imagine them.

And, for me, book Edward doesn't look like Robert Pattinson... but he is movie Edward.

And that's my point -- the movie is the movie. The book is the book (and I do love The Hunger Games series). Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'm interested to see how these casting choices play out. So long as there is something to embody the characters -- and they don't take huge liberties with the story -- I'm happy. I'll give 'em a shot.

And Suzanne Collins is happy.... and she wrote the books!

Hunger Games author Suzanne Collins is also thrilled with Hutcherson's portrayal of Peeta. When asked to respond to the casting news, she had nothing but praise. "I was fortunate enough to be in the room with Gary Ross when Josh came in to audition," Collins said. "Three lines into the read I knew he'd be fantastic.  Josh totally captured Peeta's temperament, his sense of humor and his facility for language. I'm thrilled to have him aboard."

And, hey, there is always hair dye and contact lenses -- it worked for KStew, right?


Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark

It's amazing what Photshop can do, right?

10 comments:

Stina said...

Liam works for me but not Josh. Have they casted yet for City of Bones? Getting Jace right will be a HUGE challenge.

Lori M. Lee said...

That's some fancy photoshop work. Great post!

Kelly Polark said...

He really does look more like Peeta now! Nicely done.

Katrina L. Lantz said...

Yes! When I saw that blond Peeta, all my fears were allayed. :) Not really, but I did watch Bridge to Teribithia and he was an amazing actor back then! So I can just imagine how awesome he'll be at 18. He's definitely got that nice guy thing going on, which was the most important factor for me. Go Josh!

Oh, and that other guy will probably be fine as Gale. But Go Peeta!

Marie Rearden said...

Bridget to Teribithia! Yes. That's where I've seen him. I'm holding my opinions back until we get closer. As long as he pulls off Peeta, I will not hate him forever. And, boy, did they pick a hothothot Gale. :)

Great post!

Marie at the Cheetah

Roberta Walker said...

Hmmm, not saying anything about the choices. Which says a lot, doesn't it? So not Peeta, in my mind. But I'm sure I'll love the movie anyway!

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

I'm so excited for Josh. Yay! But Liam? I'm not feeling it yet. Guess I'll have to wait and find out like everyone else. Hair coloring and (like you said) contact lenses and whatnot can make a big difference, though. Long as they play the character well, that's what's most important. =)

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

Josh was also the kid on Zathura, guys. (Incidentally, Kristen Stewart played his big sister.)

Donea Lee said...

When I first saw the names, I thought it was the other way around. Liam = Peeta and Josh = Gale. But, you make a valid point. You can't please everyone. And you can never really judge until you see the movie. A few great performances have turned my initial opinions around in the past... :)

LinWash said...

I'm a Josh fan, so I'm good about the casting. But thanks for the PhotoShop look.