And yet, I still find myself turning to some old favorites when I'm really stuck in my writing. One of those is Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Succes by K. M. Weiland, and she's got a new book coming out on story structure that I'm eager to check out. Here are the cover and blurb:
Is Structure the
Why do some stories work and others don’t? The answer is structure. In this new guide from the author of the bestselling Outlining Your Novel, you
will discover the universal underpinnings that guarantee powerful plot
and character arcs. An understanding of proper story and scene structure
will help you to not only perfectly time your story’s major events, but
will also provide you with an unerring standard to use in evaluating
your novel’s pacing and progression.
Hidden Foundation of All Successful Stories?
Structuring Your Novel
will show you:
- How to determine the best methods for unleashing your unique and personal vision for your story.
- How to identify common structural weaknesses and flip them around into stunning strengths.
- How to eliminate saggy middles by discovering your “centerpiece.”
- Why you should NEVER include conflict on every page.
- How to discover the questions you don’t want readers asking about your plot—and then how to get them to ask the right questions.
Stop by her blog tour that's starting this week, and go check out the wealth of information on her website, Helping Writers Become Authors! And feel free to leave a comment below with your own favorite writing book. :)