Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Meet John Ukah in this Debut Author Spotlight

Debut Author Spotlight from @JLenniDorner on @OpAwesome6

Murder At Midnight


1- That's an interesting looking watch. Can you tell us about it?

The watch is a Scuderia Ferrari. It is promoted as a funky Italian design combined with precision Ferrari engineering. I chose it because of the beautiful design. It is stylish and water-resistant.

2- What ignited your passion for writing?

I have always kept a personal journal. Writing is therapeutic. The books I grew up reading also influenced my writing.

3- The University of Benin logo states "knowledge for service." What did this mean to you and what role did it play in your life?

Knowledge gained is not an end in itself. Such knowledge needs to be applied in everyday life. The application is often in the form of service to others. Much like any other endeavor, writing evolves and gets better with constant practice. We get better at what we do constantly and the society is a better place for it.

4- What are some of your short and long term writing goals?

I want to keep getting better at my craft. I want to carve a niche for myself as a leading author in crime fiction and the whodunnit sub-genre.

5- Who is currently your biggest fan? What does that person love most (or "ship") about your debut novel?

I have an incredibly supportive fanbase of family and friends who love my debut novel. They love the suspense in the book.

6- What emotions do you hope your book will evoke for the reader, and is there a particular scene you hope will resonate with readers?

I hope readers are able to empathize more with others who are from a different socio-cultural and religious background.

7- What most helped you to improve your writing craft?

The books I grew up reading influenced or improved my writing craft.

8- Would you share a picture of a holiday vacation in Canada?



9- What is the most memorable trait or visual oddity of one of your characters?

Mrs. Marshall has engaging round eyes which remind one of an owl and her protruding ears hear far more than others around her.

10- #DiversityBingo2017 Which squares does your book cover on the card?

Book By Author of Color.

11- Which character has your favorite Personality Contradiction?

John Brad. He’s taciturn and acts like a statue during the day, but becomes active and lively at night.

12- As a reader, what most motivates you to buy a new book to read?

The author’s name/pedigree and book reviews.

13- How will you measure your publishing performance?

The book was published barely two months ago. It has enjoyed moderate success in terms of books sold and a high-performance in terms of positive reviews/rating. No awards yet, but the fanbase grows daily.

14- What was the deciding factor in your publication route?

I had a ready manuscript and met a publisher who was interested in my kind of work. We fit like a glove.

15- What is one question which you would like the readers of this interview to answer in the comments?

What most motivates you to buy a new book to read?

16- Anything else you would care to share about your book and yourself?

Excerpt from Murder at Midnight:

I looked at Ayuba, who shrugged his shoulders. So, I put my shoulder to the door. The door was quite good, but my shoulder was better. The door flew off the hinges, when I smashed into it. We rushed in and met a gory sight. Maria was lying face up on her bed; her eyes were open and staring in what seemed to be surprise, at the ceiling. Her mouth hung slightly open. A butcher knife was buried deep in her chest and the bedsheets were caked with dried blood. I did not need a doctor to tell me that she was dead. Ayuba gasped in shock and Mrs. Marshall screamed and fell forward. I caught hold of her, just in time to avoid a nasty fall. “She is dead!” said Ayuba, in a strangled voice. Shock and dismay were boldly written on his face. It dawned on me that this was the same room in which a young lady had hung herself earlier in the year. Was it a room of death?


About myself:
My name is John Ukah. I am a graduate of Business Administration from the University of Benin, Benin City. I am a banker and an associate of the Institute of Capital Market Registrars (ACMR).
Twitter: @JohnUkah
Amazon Author: John Ukah
Facebook: John Ukah

No comments: