Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Avery Ames' Debut Author Spotlight #NewBook #20Questions at Operation Awesome

Debut Author Spotlight from @JLenniDorner on @OpAwesome6

Cambiare by Avery Ames


1- Are you doing #NaNoWriMo this year, and if so, how are you preparing for it?

Yes! This will be my fourteenth NaNoWriMo! I've managed to win every year so far. This November, I'll be drafting the Cambiare sequel, so I have a pretty solid idea of the plot already. But even with an outline, NaNoWriMo always involves a few left turns, and I'm ready to think on my feet if I need to.

2- Would you please, in 160 characters or less, give a #WriteTip ?

Develop a routine and stick to it. Whether that's 15 minutes in the morning before the kids wake up, or 30 minutes twice a week between classes. Most of my work is written on lunch breaks.

3- What ignited your passion for writing?

I think my answer is similar to a lot of writers; I've always been a storyteller. I love the magic of creating something from nothing, of using stories to connect to other people. I started even before I could recognize letters on a page, making up my own fairy tales for my parents. Eventually, I moved on to writing it all down, and I just never stopped.

4- What is your favorite beverage?

I'm a huge tea fanatic. I love making my own blends, including some inspired by my books. My current favorite is an almond blackberry earl grey. I also enjoy going to antique malls to find old teapots and teacups.

5- What's your Twitter handle, and do you have two or three writer friends on there to shout-out to for #WriterWednesday ?

You can find me at @AveryAmes, and I'd love to point people in the direction of my online writing buddies @DCMcNaughton and @ReneeSue.

6- Would you share a picture with us of you with your book celebrating publication?

I recently got to participate in my local library's Local Author Day event, which acted as a small debut even though my official on-sale date isn't until September 17th!


7- What's one positive and one negative about your protagonist and antagonist?

Cirelle, my protagonist, is incredibly tenacious. When she puts her mind to something, she won't back down. Her major setback is the bipolar disorder that causes her emotional stress and sometimes leads to rash decisions. The antagonist, Adaleth, is quite clever but is very xenophobic.

8- What most motivates you to read a new book?

Compelling characters. That's the long and short of it. I can become invested in just about any genre or any plot, as long as the characters are intriguing and complex. Although enthusiastic word-of-mouth from friends will motivate me to read anything.

9- What is your favorite book by someone else, what's the author's Twitter handle, and what do you love most about that book? #FridayReads book recommendation time!

Author: @RobinHobb
Title: Assassin's Apprentice
Love because: Hobb does character-driven fantasy unbelievably well. I've reread her books many times and I still feel emotionally invested in her characters every single time.


10- Who is currently your biggest fan? What does that person love most (or "ship") about your debut novel?

@naominspired on Twitter has been so amazingly supportive of my book from the moment she read it, and has sent me some lovely compliments on the romantic tension in the novel.

11- What emotions do you hope your book will evoke for the reader, and is there a particular scene you hope will resonate with readers?

I want to evoke the sense of atmosphere and wonder that all great fairy tales capture. I also love to torment readers with a frustratingly slow-burn romantic rollercoaster. I hope the scenes where Cirelle struggles with her intrusive thoughts will strike an emotional chord with readers, both those who are fighting their own battles with mental illness, and those who are not.

12 - What is your favorite thing about autumn?

I love the smell of fall. Fallen leaves and rain, apples and pumpkin and spice. It's so warm and cozy. As soon as I catch a whiff of an autumn-themed candle, it makes me want to curl up under a blanket with a hot cup of tea and a good book.

13- How do you hope your book will help readers in their life?

I wrote a book I would have needed to read in the worst parts of my life. A story about a how someone with mental illness can still be a hero, and how a woman can still be strong and powerful without knowing how to fight.

14- What is the most memorable trait or visual oddity of one of your characters?

Ellian, Cirelle's faerie employer, has eyes that act as mood rings, changing color alongside his emotions. He also doesn't like to sit still and fidgets with his hands often.

15- In what ways are the main characters in your book diverse? diversebooks.org #WeNeedDiverseBooks

As well as sharing my bipolar II, Cirelle is unashamedly bisexual. Her love interest, Ellian, is pan. Most of the other characters fall under the LGBTQIA+ umbrella as well, though some of those will be detailed further in later books.

16- Who is your favorite book review blogger?

I watch most of my book reviews on Youtube, and Thoughts on Tomes is a personal favorite youtube.com/user/ThoughtsOnTomes

17- What was the deciding factor in your publication route?

I chose to self-publish because this story seemed better-suited to it. Cambiare toes the line between adult and new adult, and the romantic fairy tale atmosphere was a good fit in the indie market. Also, I loved getting to choose my cover artist and editor as well as setting my own deadlines and schedule. It's not easy, though, and you definitely have to be self-motivated!

18- Why do you think readers should write book reviews?

Reviews are so crucial ; think of the last time you took a chance on an unknown author with 2 book reviews. Then think of the last time you impulse-bought a book because it had dozens (or hundreds) of reviews with a decent rating. Plus, in the end, getting more people to read the books you love just means more people to made headcanons and geek out with.

19- Do you have one question or discussion topic which you would like the readers of this interview to answer or remark on in the comments?

My book is heavily influenced by fairy tales and folklore; what's your favorite classic or modern fairy tale and why?

20- Anything else you would care to share about your book and yourself?

ABOUT ME:

I'm a graphic designer currently residing in the United States. A lifelong lover of lush fantasy, I write novels that toe the line between glittery and dark, for lovers of fairy tales and everything gothic. When not writing, I can be found playing video games, creating replica costumes, making candles, or concocting new tea blends.

To find out more about me and my books, check out http://averyames.com or follow me on Twitter @AveryAmes

ABOUT MY BOOK:

Cambiare comes out on September 17th, 2019!

Amazon: http://bit.ly/amzn-cambiare
Barnes & Noble: http://bit.ly/pb-cambiare
Goodreads: https://goodreads.com/book/show/46288136-cambiare
CAMBIARE Avery Ames's Debut Author Spotlight

CAMBIARE BLURB:

Everyone knows the fae are dangerous. Beautiful, capricious creatures, they are as enticing as they are forbidden.

When Princess Cirelle’s brother falls deathly ill, there’s only one sure way to save him: a secret bargain with one of the fae folk. The cost? A year of servitude in the mystical faerie realm. But Cirelle’s new fae master, Ellian, holds secrets even deadlier than his charming smile.

Caught in the glittering and blood-soaked world of the fae, the hedonistic Unseelie Court kindles something new—something dark and delicious—within Cirelle, even as it twists Ellian ever more inhuman. Can Cirelle unravel Ellian’s mysteries and survive long enough to return home before she succumbs to the decadent depravity of the fae?


Cambiare by Avery Ames

No comments: