Monday, February 22, 2021

Writer's Block

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Writer%27s_Block_I.jpg

One topic that blog readers suggested for OA to address in 2021 was resources to fight writer's block.  Here are some suggestions and links for additional information:

Writers on writer's block
Some writers don't believe in writer's block, others do

Reedsy's 20 suggestions to overcome writer's block
Including developing a writing routine and writing something else

Writing Cooperative
Including read [learn from other writers] and write a short story

Master Class
Including do something else, start in the middle, and freewriting

Writing Prompts
https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/
https://www.writersdigest.com/prompts

I like the ideas to write something else and to start in the middle.  The writing prompts sites are also interesting.  I went to the first one [Reedsy] and, because I write MG, set the drop-down to "for kids".  The first prompt was "Write about someone taking a child trick-or-treating for the very first time."  This actually ties in with my current WiP, so if I was stuck on my story at this point, using this prompt would have definitely helped me get unstuck.

What do you do when you're blocked?


1 comment:

Kate Larkindale said...

I almost always have more than one project on the go. If I get stuck on one, I work on something else for a while (or write a short story) and through doing that, I almost always find I get unstuck by the time I go back to the original story.

Alternatively, if I'm on a deadline, I write myself a note about what I'm stuck on and then move on to a point where I know what happens and keep going. Often by the time I finish writing that part, I've figured out the point where I was stuck.