Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Spotlight on New Book Debut Author Sam Taylor

Operation Awesome Spotlight #20Questions in #2021 of #NewBook Debut Author posted by @JLenniDorner of @OpAwesome6


We Are the Fire by Sam Taylor


1- If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be and why?

Iceland. It’s one of my favorite places in the world, wild & mythical, serene & powerful, and always gorgeous.

2- Would you please, in 160 characters or less, give a #WriteTip ?

Always be sure the characters’ motivations are clear and understandable, and that the stakes are well-defined and compelling.

3- What most motivates you to read a new book?

A really unique concept or pitch. Comping to a book or movie that I love is another big draw. And an amazing cover never hurts!

4- Today is #RandomActsOfKindnessDay -- What random act of kindness might you do today? What could someone do for you?

I’d love to be able to surprise someone with cookies! As for me—leaving a review of my book on Amazon or Barnes and Noble, or requesting it at your library, would be lovely.

5- Would you share a picture with us of your book with some ... flame cookies?

Spotlight on New Book Debut Author Sam Taylor WE ARE THE FIRE #NewBook #DebutAuthor #2021Books - #YA #YAfantasy #fantasy Teen Young Adult War Military Fiction


6- Do you hope a fantasy book (such as yours) might prevent real children from being stolen from their families to serve a cruel government one day?

I think so much can be changed for the better with deeper empathy for others and a stronger understanding of ourselves and the effects of our actions… and I hope a book like mine can help open readers’ minds and perspectives.

7- What's your Twitter handle, and do you have two or three writer friends on there to shout-out to for #WriterWednesday ?

I’m @jsamtaylor ! Special shoutout to my friends @KG_Mach and @lj_lawless whose feedback was invaluable while working on my edits for WE ARE THE FIRE, as well as @kimsmejkal , who has been so supportive of me and my writing for years.

8- Do you have a favorite #bookstagram image or account/ profile?

Megan LaCroix, @meganwritenow , puts together some amazing book photography, include creating vintage-style images of recently released books she’s loved! It’s incredible.

9- Are you a Plotter, Pantser, or Plantser, and how did you adopt that style?

Plantster! I always outline before drafting, but during my rough drafts, I’m always surprised by great new ideas that are more interesting and imaginative than anything I expected.

10- What does your basic writing schedule look like, and how often do you write?

Been part of the #5amwritersclub for almost three years now! It’s hard to get much done while my kiddos are awake, so I have to get up before them to get some words in. I’ll also write in the afternoon while they’re both napping. I try to write at least a little every day.

11- What is your favorite book by someone else, what's the author's Twitter handle, and what do you love most about that book? #FridayReads book recommendation time!

Author name: Joanna Ruth Meyer @gamwyn
Title: Into the Heartless Woods
Love because: Gender-swapped telling of Beauty and the Beast with a tree-siren girl and a cinnamon roll astronomer boy. It will wreck you in the best way possible.


12- What emotions do you hope your book will evoke for the reader?

My book goes to some dark places and addresses some difficult events and themes, but ultimately, I hope readers leave with a sense of hope and feeling like they can also overcome difficult circumstances.

13- What kind of impact do you hope your book will have?

I hope it can help reassure readers who may feel trapped by their circumstances, that they can and will be able to find a way out.

14- What is your favorite creative non-writing activity to do?

Baking! I especially love making cakes. And dance workouts are also fun.

15- diversebooks.org #WeNeedDiverseBooks What's your favorite book with a diverse main character?

American Panda by Gloria Chao is at once hilarious and a deeply poignant and insightful look at the cultural and generational clashes in 17-year-old Mei’s Tawanese family.
Meet Gloria Chao in this Debut Author Spotlight

16- What method do you feel is the best way to get book reviews?

Reviews on Amazon and the Barnes & Noble websites are important in helping new readers find an author’s work. And don’t forget about word of mouth! If you look a book, tell friends and family about it. That can make a big difference for any author.

17- What was the deciding factor in your publication route?

Self-publishing requires some expert marketing experience that I don’t have yet, so I went traditional to rely on the resources of a bigger, well-connected publisher.

18- What's the biggest writing goal you hope to accomplish in your lifetime?

Honestly, just to be able to keep writing and publishing books.
Though it would be nice to have a Webtoons adaptation of one of my stories…

19- Would you please ask our audience a question to answer in the comments?

What book (or books) made you into a reader?

20- Anything else you would care to share about your book and yourself?

We Are the Fire features fire magic, twisted alchemy, ash-gray morals, and is perfect for fans of An Ember in the Ashes or the legend of Spartacus.
Follow me on Instagram at @jsamtaylorauthor for bookish fun and recommendations, baking pictures, and more about my debut novel!


We Are the Fire by Sam Taylor

1 comment:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great interview. I loved learning more about Sam's writing schedule. I'm really excited to read her book.