Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Matt Wilson answers #13Questions in OA's Debut Author Spotlight

Operation Awesome Spotlight #13Questions of #NewBook Debut Author posted by @JLenniDorner of @OpAwesome6 2022

13 Questions shine Operation Awesome's Spotlight on this 2022 Debut Author



Hooks: Lessons on Performance, Business, and Life from a Working Musician by Matt Wilson


1- Could "Hooks: Lessons on Performance, Business, and Life from a Working Musician" help someone with their New Years Resolutions? #NewYearsResolutions

Sure, one of the main categories in the book is Identity and Expectations. A few of the Hooks in this section fit perfectly in a New Year's Resolution strategy:
  • Hook # 29 - Plan for the Future. Don't live in it.
  • Hook #36 - Forecast the need for change and reinvention.
  • Hook #38 - Patience is the pathway to growth.
  • Hook 47 - If you truly believe that a greater purpose lies in your endeavor, you will see that endeavor to the end.


2- Would you please, in 160 characters or less, give a #WriteTip ?

Write precisely. We often use words that fall within the category of, “You know what I mean!” Make sure the words you choose are exactly what you want to say.

3- What emotions do you hope your book will evoke for the reader?

Hope and encouragement.
I'm inspirited by the concept of freedom and liberation—freedom, as in overcoming obstacles, liberation from fear, freedom to identify the choices in our lives, and then having the resolution to make a decision. Ultimately, my aim for the reader is to accept the challenge of working through struggles and limitations, share their experiences as a resource for others, and find a way to succeed and thrive.

4- What's something exciting you have planned for this year?

I aim to record an audio version of Hooks and further my efforts for a career in public speaking.

5- Would you share a picture with us of your book in a festive setting?

Matt Wilson answers #13Questions in OA's Debut Author Spotlight #NewBook #DebutAuthor #2022Books #13Questions


6- How do you support your fellow debut authors and have any of them supported you?

I'm always open to sharing what I've learned about the book writing process. There's so much more to writing a book than seeing ideas develop into words on the page. I relied on a handful of seasoned authors to guide me through my writing journey, and I'm available to do the same for anyone who'd welcome my advice.

7- What's your Twitter handle for #WriterWednesday ?

@wilsontunes

8- What is your favorite creative non-writing activity to do?

I'm a musician and entertainer. I enjoy performances where I can talk to the crowd in-between songs and build a show. My banter is typically impromptu, and the show develops in the moment. Deciding what song to play, what to say, and regulating the show's arc utilizes many facets of my creativity.

9- In what ways are the main characters in your book diverse? diversebooks.org #WeNeedDiverseBooks

My book does not comment on the issue of diversity directly. It does, however, address challenges everyone faces professionally and personally. Overcoming doubt and fear, maintaining relationships, and building confidence are overriding themes that resonate with many and are found throughout the book.

10- What's the biggest writing goal you hope to accomplish in your lifetime? #WriteGoal #BucketList #WriterBucketList

My goals as an author are modest. I've been a professional musician for over thirty years. To make the transition to a writer has required tenacity. Building recognition as a writer has been rewarding, so I'd like to continue that path. Most importantly, my aim is that my writing is meaningful and helpful to others

11- How did you come to the decision not to send a query letter?

I’ve learned that book promotion is a long and ongoing process, and a query letter might be in my future. Yet, so far, I've chosen the route of self-publishing and promotion through a book publicist.

12- Would you please ask our audience an intriguing question to answer in the comments?

Can you recall a time in your life when you faced an undesirable situation that seemed firmly determined, yet, with further examination, you realized you had a say in the matter and chose a different outcome?

13- Anything else you would care to share about your book and yourself?

Matt Wilson is a performing musician, songwriter, and author. He first gained national exposure as the Piano Man in the First National Tour of the Billy Joel and Twyla Tharp's Tony-award winning musical Movin’ Out. In 2005, the Texas State Senate honored Matt with a resolution for his achievements in the area of Fine Arts. In 2021, Matt released his first book, Hooks: Lessons on Performance, Business, and Life from a Working Musician. His podcast, On The Hook with Matt Wilson is available on most podcast platforms.


Hooks: Lessons on Performance, Business, and Life from a Working Musician by Matt Wilson

1 comment:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great interview. I love Matt's tip to write precisely. It's something we can learn to do better with practice.