Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Karla Jordan answers #13Questions in OA's Debut Author Spotlight

Operation Awesome Spotlight #13Questions of #NewBook Debut Author posted by @JLenniDorner of @OpAwesome6 2022

13 Questions shine Operation Awesome's Spotlight
on this
2022 Debut Author



Cartwheels In The Dark by Karla Jordan


1- What is it about Maine that creates such a great setting for the murder mystery suspense genre?

I think because Maine is such a large, wooded state that also has places where people are few and far between. There are people in Maine who are happy to stay amongst "their own" and don't welcome outsiders easily.

2- Would you please, in 160 characters or less, give a #WriteTip ?

No matter what, don't give up. Write what you would like to read in a book and see what happens.

3- What emotions do you hope your book will evoke for the reader?

I hope my book evokes feelings of joy, sitting on the edge of the seat suspense, sadness, happiness...all the feels is what it should be.

4- If you could safely travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

Greek Islands because I'd love to enjoy the scenery and I'm so interested in writing a book that is set there.

5- Would you share a picture with us of your book among the trees, or with Pumpkin or Shadow?

Karla Jordan answers #13Questions in OA's Debut Author Spotlight

Shadow (above napping with my book).

6- How do you support your fellow debut authors and have any of them supported you?

I happily share and read other writer's posts. I have purchased many books by fellow authors and shared the book info with friends. We all need as much exposure as we can get.

7- Time to double-down on social media! What's your Twitter handle, and do you have two or three writer friends on there to shout-out to for #WriterWednesday ?
Also, can you please recommend a favorite #bookstagram account profile?


My twitter handle is @karlawjordan . Shout out to @bdavisauthor , @dkwestfall1 @Tamekamichelleb

Bookstagram account profile to follow...
@whatshotblog IG: #asoccermomsblog

8- What is your favorite creative non-writing activity to do?

My favorite non writing activity to do is baking. I love to bake breads and sweets. I also like to read and enjoy time outside at home (when it's not winter)!

9- In what ways are the main characters in your book diverse? diversebooks.org #WeNeedDiverseBooks

My book speaks to diversity by way of alcoholism and poverty, along with mental health issues.

10- What's the biggest writing goal you hope to accomplish in your lifetime? #WriteGoal #BucketList #WriterBucketList

I hope to write a book that will bring attention to the children in this country who are hungry and living in substandard conditions because they do exist. Even if we like to pretend it's only happening in poorer countries, it's not.

11- What was the query process like for you?

I did a lot of query letters before deciding to edit and self-publish on my own. I knew that I did not write the next "Harry Potter" kind of book, but rather a book that would speak to people. A book that brought attention to poverty and alcoholism in a way that made the reader want to know more. Of course, a mystery setting worked well for that also.

12- Would you please ask our audience an intriguing question to answer in the comments?

"What kind of book would you like to see written that has not been done yet?"

13- Anything else you would care to share about your book and yourself?

I am the oldest of five children (all girls). To this day, my Dad is my best friend. He encouraged us all to be the best that we could be at whatever we chose. I feel I have done that or rather am doing that with my writing.

My social media links are:
FB: karlajordan-author.
IG: karlajordan56
Twitter: @karlawjordan
My website is http://karlajordan-author.com

Here's a blurb for Cartwheels In The Dark...

After twenty years, Kallie Douglas is headed back to Somerfield, Maine, the one place on earth she promised herself she'd never return. She isn't staying long, just long enough to say goodbye to an old friend who has passed away and to take care of the estate left in her care. But when an old newspaper clipping surfaces detailing a missing person's case near her family's home, Kallie suddenly finds herself haunted by a series of dark memories and unsettling questions she can't answer.

Pursuing those questions means staying in a town where people make their own rules and don't take kindly to outsiders who ask too many questions. But Somerfield's past is Kallie's past. It's secrets, her secrets, and soon it becomes clear that in order to move on with her life, she must find the strength to confront long-buried family secrets-and come face to face with her past. Even if it means putting her own life in danger, because she knows it will.


Cartwheels In The Dark by Karla Jordan

1 comment:

Kim and Michael Petit said...

This is such an incredible book - the characters are so compelling. I want to get to know them better and have them in my life! Karla is a great writer and I, for one, am anxiously awaiting her next book! I have read a number of comments from other readers whi would like to see this book turned into a movie - I wholeheartedly agree!