Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Rebecca Stirling answers #13Questions in OA's Debut Author Spotlight

Operation Awesome Spotlight #13Questions of #NewBook Debut Author posted by @JLenniDorner of @OpAwesome6 2022

13 Questions shine Operation Awesome's Spotlight
on this
2022 Debut Author



The Shell and the Octopus by Rebecca Stirling


1- What is your favorite world culture or time in history?

The end of the Edo period(1750 to 1886) into the Meiji period (1186 to 1912) of modern day Tokyo. The culture, artisan precision and beauty, language, architecture,

2- Would you please, in 160 characters or less, give a #WriteTip ?

Write about what is behind or invokes the burning feeling in your chest... When you jump from a rock outcropping into a pool of water, when you fall in love, when you hear the news from the other end of the phone connection, when you....
Rebecca Stirling #NewBook #DebutAuthor #2022Books #13Questions


3- What emotions do you hope your book will evoke for the reader?

Compassion, intrigue, anguish, inspiration

4- Previous debut author, Liesbet Collaert, has a book that's largely about life at sea (Plunge - https://amzn.to/3yftH7t). Do you two share a target audience, and have you read that book and what are your thoughts?

Yes I have read this book! It is one of the first books I found when I began to prepare for getting my book out into the world, precisely because I do believe we share a target audience. I empathise with her drive for adventure, and her deep passion for love, life and beauty. I admire that she embarked on her journey in her early 20's, which is just when I tore myself away from sailing to regain a sense of connection with what I thought to be the 'real world,' and also when my father passed and I took over his business. I find myself inspired and yearning to sail and travel as I am pulled into this beautiful world by her words.

5- Would you share a picture with us of your book by the water?

Rebecca Stirling #NewBook #DebutAuthor #2022Books #13Questions


6- How do you support your fellow debut authors and have any of them supported you?

Leslie Johansen Nack wrote the book, Fourteen, about living with her father and two younger sisters on a sailboat while preparing to travel and voyaging to The South Pacific. We connected online due to the similarity of our stories, began to talk on the phone, and recently met in person for the launch of her second book, The Blue Butterfly. She has become a dear friend and huge support and guide for me not only in writing and publishing, but also in life. I hope that my support for her is similar. My continued involvement in several writing groups, volunteer positions in writers conferences, and reaching out to other authors who I am inspired by and relate to has been foundational in creating a support network akin to family. I love to help support and share others works in any way I can, and have been blessed with support by so many.


7- Do you have two or three writer friends on there to shout-out to for #WriterWednesday ?

Leslie Johansen Nack @leslie_nack, Cheryl Strayed @CherylStrayed, Paulo Coehlo @paulocoelho

8- What is your favorite creative non-writing activity to do?
Rebecca Stirling #ocean #NewBook #DebutAuthor #2022Books #13Questions

To be somehow with the ocean.

9- In what ways are the main characters in your book diverse? diversebooks.org #WeNeedDiverseBooks

My book is diverse in that it speaks about a young woman at sea. Though white and ultimately privileged in the larger scheme of things, this woman is able to interact with, be with, and live, within many private bubbles that may not conventionally be experienced, or penetrated. She is able to live on the open ocean for weeks at a time, she is raised by her father and no mother, she does not have a consistent home base other than the boat, she immerses herself in, and is sometimes taken in by, other cultures and religions out of necessity and curiosity. For example she interacts with many pacific island native village people, she becomes very close friends with a young Indonesian 'working girl,' she works and lives among many Muslim, Hindu, and Christian cultures. She lives in utter poverty, as well as luxury. The diversity highlighted is one of transcending and living within myriad traditional norms, while changing between them on a daily or weekly basis.

Rebecca Stirling #NewBook #DebutAuthor #2022Books #13Questions


10- What's the biggest writing goal you hope to accomplish in your lifetime? #WriteGoal #BucketList #WriterBucketList

To continue to write and publish novels that inspire and uplift. To offer a lense to a broader perspective of oneself, family, community, cultures and our earth that encourages celebration of diversity, compassion for difficulty, and encouragement of the wholistic way of living on this planet as humans.

11- What was the query process like for you?

The query process was a challenge for me. It switched my creative mindset to more of a business, promotional tone, which is challenging for me and also a great exercise. I reminded myself to be genuine, find those who I felt drawn to to see if I would be a good fit for them so that moving forward together would be enjoyable and encouraging within all of the hard work. In the end, personal conversations got me closer to where I am today.
Rebecca Stirling #NewBook #DebutAuthor #2022Books #13Questions


12- Would you please ask our audience an intriguing question to answer in the comments?

What is the most simple, uplifting adventure that is within your reach each day? It could be taking a shower, walking beside a river, smiling at someone on the street, or hugging a loved one.

13- Anything else you would care to share about your book and yourself?
Rebecca Stirling #NewBook #DebutAuthor #2022Books #13Questions

Rebecca Stirling lives between Colorado and Kauai with her two children. She teaches creative art and writing classes to help spread the knowledge and ingenuity of world cultures. She continues to sail and travel, read and write, and has a love for the stories individuals, cultures, and our earth, have to tell. She has published in 'Outdoor Magazine,' and 'Mountain Outlaw Magazine,' among others.
rebeccastirlingwriter.com


The Shell and the Octopus by Rebecca Stirling

No comments: