Friday, April 7, 2023

#AtoZChallenge F is for Jemi Fraser

Operation Awesome 2023 #AtoZChallenge theme is interviews of established authors


Jemi Fraser 


Jemi Fraser writes small-town romantic suspense filled with hope, heart, and humour. Her stories combine her love of mystery with the satisfaction of a Happy Ever After. Love is always worth the risk!


1- When did you know that you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve always loved stories and have been an avid reader forever, but it never crossed my mind that I could be a writer. We didn’t have creative writing classes, so that might be part of the problem. I made up stories in my head all the time, but didn’t actually try writing until my kids were on their way to being adults.

2- In what category/genre do you write? Why? 

I write small-town romantic suspense. I love knowing there’s going to be a happy ending and that good will always triumph. I like the fun of placing my stories in small towns where everyone knows each other and while they might drive you batty, they always have your back!

3- What part of one of your stories was the most fun to write? The most challenging? (And which book/s are those in?)

Tough question!! I think the most fun would tend to be the one I’m writing at the moment…but I also had an absolute blast creating Built Of Secrets. It’s the first book in my second series and building a whole new small-town space was fun.

On the flip side, the most challenging was my very first book Reaching For Normal. It was my very first published fiction book. There was so much to learn before that book was ready for the public. Every time I learned something new in the craft, I wanted to rewrite the entire book!


4- Would you please, in 160 characters (not words) or less, give a #WriteTip?

Everyone has their own style. Trust your gut. Tread carefully around any advice that says “everyone should” or “all writers must”. Find your own voice and way.

5- With writing romance and suspense, do you start with romance and then add suspense? Or do you have the idea that combines romance and suspense?

Actually, I start with the characters. I think about who they are, what has hurt them in their past, and how they have to grow in the story to learn to believe in who they are and find what they really need. Both the romance and the suspense build from what they need.

6- What do you love and hate most about being a published author?

I love creating the books! Everything from building the worlds to creating the characters to revising the stories. So much fun!!

I don’t think I hate any parts. Marketing is a challenge of course, but I simply don’t do the things I hate. Life is too short to do things that don’t bring me at least a little joy.

7- Do you publish traditional, self, hybrid, other? Why?

I’m an indie author. I don’t have the personality to be a traditionally published author. I’m a bit of a control freak and I love learning new things (#1 Learner if you know Clifton Strengths). I want to tell the stories I want to tell in the way I want to tell them. My stories make me happy. I don’t want to follow someone else’s rules and have those rules take the joy out of the process for me.



8- What question are you dying to answer (about your writing, life, or even a fun fact)? What's the question and then answer.

Question: How many books do you work on at once?

Answer: I tend to have at least 3 books on the go at once. I usually have 1 or 2 I’m drafting, another 1 or 2 I’m revising and then another few bouncing around in my head in the planning stages. I have a bouncy brain and I like being able to work on whichever one feels right at the moment.

9- Would you please ask our audience an intriguing question to answer in the comments? 

When I’m reading (and writing), I lean toward contemporary fiction with happy endings. When I watch TV or movies, I lean toward SF and Fantasy (Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly, Fringe…). Do you tend to read and watch the same genre or different ones?

10- If they have a specific story, they want to promote a question regarding that. Ex. Which book would you suggest readers start with? 

I currently have 2 series out. Reaching For Normal (She's exactly what this former SEAL doesn't want, but this sunshiney writer may be just what he needs) is the lead-in to the first series and is FREE at all retailers.

The latest books in both series are up for preorder and will be available soon. Reaching For More (One interfering mom, one fake relationship, and one stalker who doesn't like it at all) is next in the Bloo Moose Romance series. Built Of Second Chances (He’d thought she was dead. He’d changed his life to hunt down those who’d killed her. But everything he’d thought was a lie) is up next in the Small-Town Heroes series.

Thanks so much for letting me be part of the A-Z Challenge this year!! Good luck to all the participants.

There is a free #giveaway to one lucky winner. The winner gets to choose a free e-book from either the Bloo Moose Romance or Small-Town Heroes series. The e-book will be delivered electronically.

Check out Jemi online:

jemifraser.com

Twitter @jemifraser

FB Jemi Fraser

Instagram

Goodreads


4 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks so much to the awesome team here at Operation Awesome for letting me chat with your readers!
Good luck to all the brave bloggers completing the AtoZ challenge! Have fun!

Natalie Aguirre said...

So glad you featured Jemi. I've loved watching how her publishing career has taken off once she got going with self-publishing.

Jamie said...

Great interview. Love your list of tv shows (I'd add Stargate Atlantis, Fringe, and the Orville). I do really like watching medical dramas, but not writing them. It's more that they're high action.

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

I enjoy watching shows like Grey's Anatomy and Fringe, yet I don't read in those genres... I enjoyed "Reaching for Normal".

Ronel visiting for F:
My Languishing TBR: F
Fiery Farralis