Thursday, April 20, 2023

#AtoZChallenge Q is for Yolanda Renée's Detective Quaid

Operation Awesome 2023 #AtoZChallenge theme is interviews of established authors

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter Q


Established Author Name: Yolanda Renée



1- Would you tell us about the inspiration for and a little about your Detective Quaid character?

Spending four years in Alaska inspired the series and the detective. Detective Steven Quaid is half Tlingit Indian and half Irish. Even though he descended from the gold miners that settled Alaska and Tlingit royalty. It gained him no favor during his adolescent years nor on his road to becoming a detective. After solving his first case, The Snowman, Quaid gained a bit of fame, which grew with each consecutive case. But Murder, Madness & Love tarnishes his reputation after he falls for a suspect. Which may not have been the best way to introduce my hero character. 😊

2- In what category/genre do you write? Why?

Crime, mystery, romance, and horror are my favorite genres, but I also write sci-fi. My sci-fi story Ever-Ton won a spot in the IWSG Anthology, Parallels: Felix Was Here. I also dabble in poetry. I write what I know and what I want to read. I grew up reading Nancy Drew mysteries, Daniel Steele romances, Steven King horror, and Ray Bradbury science fiction. My grandmother wrote poetry and encouraged my writing. My book, For Opal, was written to honor her.

3- What part of one of your stories was the most fun to write? The most challenging?

Two of my most controversial characters were the most challenging and fun to write. Lucifer from Memories of Murder, and Stowy Jenkins from The Snowman, and Murder Just Because. Writing true evil is more complex than you think. Research is vital.

4- Would you please, in 160 characters or less, give a #WriteTip ?

Write your antagonist's entire history. Birth through adolescence, to first kill. Even if it's not in the book, because with that knowledge, the character will lead you to their destruction.
WEPFF 2023

5- What draws you to flash fiction, and what's happening at writeeditpublishnow.blogspot.com?

I love the challenge of telling a complete story in the least number of words. My books went from 149,000+ words to 80,000+. Flash fiction writing helped me hone my skills and cut, cut, cut.

WEP – Write, Edit, Publish is a semi-monthly flash fiction challenge created by Denise Covey. I'm one of several hosts, Nila, Jemi, Sonia, and Olga. This year we chose movie posters as our inspiration, and this week we are writing to the movie prompt, "Life Is Beautiful."
The WEP allows writers of all levels to stretch their writing chops with different genres. While giving them constructive feedback and an opportunity to win prizes, advertise their work, and, most importantly, become part of a writing community.
https://writeeditpublishnow.blogspot.com

6- What do you love and hate most about being a published author?

I love sharing my work. I enjoy the entire process, but what I hate most is marketing. Too many rip-offs that promise tweets, shoutouts, and publications on book sites that don't exist. Or emails promising a discussion with a movie producer for only $1,000. It's very discouraging. Creating ads on Amazon or Facebook triggers my dyslexia and causes migraines. It's incredibly frustrating for an introvert.

7- Do you publish traditional, self, hybrid, other? Why?

I'm currently self-publishing. My first three books were traditionally published. But problems receiving royalties soured that option for me. I now have the rights to all my books. But I'd love to be able to safely hand off the publishing responsibility and have someone else running the show for book promotion.

8- What question are you dying to answer?

Why did you write two books with Stowy Jenkins as the antagonist?
In The Snowman, Stowy was captured and tried for his crimes, but Alaska doesn't have the death penalty, so he was sent to prison.
In Murder Just Because, he escapes to get his revenge on Quaid. He had a much bigger story to tell, which I wasn't aware of until I wrote the first book. He's one of the most hideous villains I've ever created. Lucifer was crazy, but Stowy is evil incarnate.

9- Would you please ask our audience an intriguing question to answer in the comments?

What book or author has made the biggest impression on you?

10- What are you working on now?

I'm currently editing Murder on Mount Fairweather, the 7th book in the Detective Quaid series. I'm hoping for a December release.
Quaid is in New York when he gets the news that a hijacked plane has gone down in the mountains west of Juneau. His wife is on board. An Airforce Jet can't get him home soon enough.
Despite Quaid's best efforts, the weather has the mountain socked in, and it isn't letting up. Can he reach the top of Mt. Fairweather in time to save his wife from the horrors of the Alaskan triangle and capture the hijacker?
FYI - each book is only .99 cents on Amazon Kindle this month. The entire series can be purchased for $5.99. @ Amazon.com


Coming soon: Murder on Mount Fairweather
Read more by Renée @ Defending the Pen
Thank you, Operation Awesome, for this opportunity to discuss my writing and showcase my books.
Yolanda Renée

#AtoZChallenge 2023
Please check out the April Blogging from A to Z Challenge
#AtoZChallenge 2023
a-to-zchallenge.com

9 comments:

Yolanda Renée said...

Thank you for the opportunity to discuss my books. It's always fun. I hope your readers will take advantage of the sale price. :) Happy A to Z!

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

Holly Black's "Tithe" opened the world of faeries to me in a way far removed from Disney.

Ronel visiting for Q:
My Languishing TBR: Q
Queen of the Gods: Hera

Denise Covey said...

This is such a great series. Highly recommended. Lovely learning more about Yolanda.

Adelaide Dupont said...

What a very wise idea to write the antagonist's life history, Yolanda.

I imagine this comes from long and hard experience.

And it is a tip I would give to a less experienced writer too - or one who is not used to thinking of antagonists as whole people the way protagonists and sidekicks are.

Agonists and agents for the win!

Especially Quaid.

Jemi Fraser said...

Love the Steven Quaid series! looking forward to the next one!

Olga Godim said...

I have a few favorite writers, and Lois McMaster Bujold is probably at the top of that short list. She writes speculative fiction, and I love all her books. She has interesting antagonists too.

Nilanjana Bose said...

Love the writing tip! And so great to know more about Yolanda's inspiration for poetry.

Sonia dogra said...

It's interesting to note that flash fiction can help tighten our current wip. Something I never thought about but yes! Loved the interview, Yolanda!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thank you, everyone. It's wonderful to your comments!

Ronel - I'll have the Checkout Holly's book. It sounds intriguing. Thank you for sharing.

Denise, hey. Thank you for coming by and for giving the shout out about the post. Much appreciated.

Adelaide - Thank you, and yes, long and hard, but also rewarding.

Jemi - Thank you. I've still got to read your latest. Soon, I promise.

Olga, antagonists are the most fun to write.

Nila - Grandma was a great woman! Her poetry is simple but beautiful.

Sonia - Thanks, ff had made a tremendous impact on my writing.