Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Children's Books Explorations: Concept Books

What is a Concept Book?

A type of picture book made to explain or introduce an idea or activity. This includes the alphabet, counting, colors, times, and shapes.

(Quote Source

The Concept Books I read: 

  1. Mouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh
  2. I Feel! A book of Emotions by Juana Medina
  3. Mouse Magic by Ellen Stoll Walsh
  4. Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly! by Mo Willems
  5. What's Your Sound, Hound the Hound? by Mo Willems

What I learned: 

I have taken fine art courses at undergraduate programs, and I still struggle with the color wheel when it comes to tertiary colors. I was impressed by how Mouse Paint and Mouse Magic by Ellen Stoll Walsh introduced art concepts of colors. I even learned something! I'm rather sad that I did not read them as a child.

I Feel! A book of Emotions by Juana Medina showed a variety of emotions with facial expressions and colors. I thought the order of emotions was interesting. It was fascinating to see that there are several emotion wheels. I have certain emotions that I connect to specific colors, and I really like the shades used in the following wheel. Are there certain colors that you associate with emotions? Is anger only red? Is joy only yellow? 


The work of Mo Willems was musical and lyrical. I can imagine how much fun it would be to read with a child. Friends was a concept in both Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly! and What's Your Sound, Hound the Hound?. It was neat to see how the characters moved on the page and interacted with each other.

Do you have a favorite Concept Book? And what colors do you associate with emotions? Comment below.

No comments: