Saturday, August 9, 2014

Recharging Your Writer Brain

A few weeks ago, the very awesome Agent Jessica Sinsheimer posted the following on Twitter:



I love the idea of creative crop rotation. Such a great way to look at it.

There are many times when I come home from work and feel too brain dead to make a simple dinner, much less write for an hour or to reach a 1000-word goal. But I start to go a little crazy--okay, a little crazier than usual--if I don't have a creative outlet. Besides, I have my suspicions that writing actually kills the sane brain cells and causes the crazy ones to multiply. Rapidly. ;)

To rebuild some of those sane brain cells, sometimes I'll sew or crochet. And I love to make things with Photoshop and Excel. Yes, I said Excel. Numbers, colors, and conditional formatting? What's not to love? Plus, it's one of those things that, like writing, I don't think I could ever really learn completely, so I'll never get bored with it. 

So what about you? What do you do to recharge your writer brain? Any crafts or nerdy programs you enjoy? 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love photography -- both looking at others' creations and playing around with my own camera. Browsing vintage photographs is great for coming up new story ideas, too.

T.J. said...

I love to get my hands on a crappy piece of furniture and do something with it. Or work on a classic car to bring it back to life. Explore Wyoming. Go to a museum. ANd sometimes, it's as simple as talking to my family.

Angelica R. Jackson said...

We love benefiting from your Excel obsession behind the scenes on OA, Abby! I prefer working with photographs, video, or (less frequently these days) music and drawing.

Kristal Shaff said...

Love this post. :) You maybe have just inspired a post for Thrusday. :)

Cynthia J. McGean said...

Thanks for the valuable reminder. I have a hard time giving myself permission to recharge as a writer, though I do it as a teacher.

Abby Annis said...

Fun hobby! And I love that get new story ideas from old photographs. I might have to try that. :)

Abby Annis said...

Restoring furniture and cars are both on my list of things to learn someday. :)

Abby Annis said...

Thanks, Angelica! Great ways to recharge. :)

Abby Annis said...

Glad I could help. ;)

Abby Annis said...

I have a hard time doing that too, especially since my teenagers want my undivided attention whenever I'm home. It can be difficult to carve out that time for yourself without feeling guilty about it. I'm glad the post was helpful too you. :)

Karen McCoy said...

Improv theater and jazz dance. Never got into the crochet thing.