Wednesday, July 17, 2019

L.D. Crichton's Debut Author Spotlight #NewBook #20Questions at Operation Awesome

Debut Author Spotlight from @JLenniDorner on @OpAwesome6

All Our Broken Pieces by L.D. Crichton


1- What is your favorite mermaid quote?

‘I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depth, and a great fear of shallow living.’ - Anias Nin

2- Would you please, in 160 characters or less, give a #WriteTip ?

If you get stuck on a particular portion of your manuscript and find writer’s block is about to strike, write the last scene in your book, or a scene that’s coming that you’re looking forward to writing instead.

3- What ignited your passion for writing?

My dad was a writer. From very early on both of my parents read to me— my dad faithfully every single night. He used to travel for work and he made a tape recording (aging myself here)of him reading my favourite stories so when he was away, I could still get my fix.

Stories and storytelling have been an integral part of my life since I can remember, but what ignited my passion so much more seriously, is the death of my mom. It suddenly hit me so hard that time is never promised to us. I always wanted to write (more importantly—finish) a novel, but it wasn’t until she passed away that I actually accomplished it.

4- Why did you make the switch from New Adult to Young Adult?

It was actually the other way around. From my first book, I wrote young adult, however a few years back it seemed anyone and everyone was writing New Adult so I took a shot at it and wrote THE ENCHANTMENT OF EMMA FLETCHER, but Young Adult has always been my true passion, so it was nice to return to it for ALL OUR BROKEN PIECES.

5- What's your Twitter handle, and do you have two or three writer friends on there to shout-out to for #WriterWednesday ?

I’m so original! It’s @LDCrichton. As for writer friends who I adore? There are so many but I will go with @MonicaBSanz, @karajmcdowell, and @ruthanne_snow

6- Would you share a picture with us of your book somewhere fun

Here’s my book in Ubud, Bali.


7- How did you come up with the names Lennon Davis and Kyler Benton?

Years and years ago I read a book (shamefully I can’t even remember the title) and the male protagonist was named Kyler. He. Was. Awesome. I remember thinking then that when the right story idea came along, I was going to use the name Kyler because I loved it so much. I went through a few novels and names: Tristan, Mateo, Jackson, Xavier, Sebastian before the right story came along for Kyler.

As for Lennon, I like naming girls after musicians. I have no idea why. THE ENCHANTMENT OF EMMA FLETCHER has a Marley in it. When I was thinking about what name to give Lennon, Josh, her dad, showed up in my mind and started calling her Bug, at which point I knew she had to be named after a Beatle. And John Lennon is definitely the most recognized Beatle!

8- What most motivates you to read a new book?

Same thing that motivates all of us who read, I suppose. To go somewhere else and lose myself even if it’s for just a few hours in time. Every new book holds the promise of a new adventure.

9- What is your favorite book by someone else, what's the author's Twitter handle, and what do you love most about that book? #FridayReads book recommendation time!

Okay so I’m going with fav so far of 2019.
Author name: @karajmcdowell
Title: JUST FOR CLICKS
Love because: It was fast paced, witty, sweet and very well written.


10- Who is currently your biggest fan? What does that person love most (or "ship") about your debut novel?

I’m not sure who the biggest would be. I’ve had a few bloggers connect with me who love the book very much. @BookaholicEllie was the first blogger to show the book a ton of love! She found it relatable and loved Kyler’s lyrics and the banter between Lennon and her guy! You get see her review (with amazing pictures) here:
https://ellieinbookheaven.com/2019/04/24/ya-book-review-all-our-broken-pieces/

11- What emotions do you hope your book will evoke for the reader, and is there a particular scene you hope will resonate with readers?

ALL OF THE FEELS. I really do hope my book has the ability to make readers laugh, cry, love, be sad, be angry but most of all I hope it makes them feel hopeful or inspired. My favourite scene in the whole book is when Kyler reveals his face for the first time which is also when Lennon tells him that she has OCD and about what happened to her mom…


12- Do you have a favorite #bookstagram image or account/ profile?

Firstly, all bookstagrammers are amazing. I am just in awe at the images they create, but regarding a favorite, I’d have to choose @fromlibrarywithlove who did the most amazing pic by bringing to life, my cover!

13- How do you hope your book will help readers in their life?

I hope my book helps those who struggle with self acceptance. My wish would be that reading ALL OUR BROKEN PIECES may give someone a different perspective or appreciation for the things that make them unique.

14- What is the most memorable trait or visual oddity of one of your characters?

Well— half of Kyler’s face is burnt. That’s a pretty big deal.

The diverse book movement recognizes all diverse experiences, including (but not limited to) LGBTQIA, Native, people of color, gender diversity, people with disabilities, and ethnic, cultural, and religious minorities.

15- In what ways are the main characters in your book diverse? diversebooks.org #WeNeedDiverseBooks

Lennon has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Anxiety. She’s constantly battling to prioritize her mental health like so many people do, and although Kyler would not be classified as a diverse character, he is physically scarred so he definitely brings an experience that is unique to him which I think compliments Lennon’s OCD very well.

16- Who is your favorite book review blogger?

My fav bloggers are the book bratz! Jessica, Amber and Emily. https://thebookbratz.blogspot.com/
They are simply amazing and their support of 2019 debuts has been incredible.

17- What was the deciding factor in your publication route?

There was no deciding factor. I suppose I chose to try traditional publishing first because I was raising kids, working full time, going to school and writing a book, it seemed like adding the additional work involved to self publish would be more time than I could add to the already lengthy juggling act I was going through at the time.

18- Why do you think readers should write book reviews?

Because every time you read a book and don’t review it, an author looses a sliver of their soul :)

In all seriousness though, reviewing books is important for so many reasons. If you love a book, the best way you can thank an author is to review it. It drives visibility and sales which trickles down to then allowing the author another shot at their next book. If you hate a book and find it incredibly problematic, it’s well within your right to say so and maybe would help like minded people avoid reading something they wouldn’t enjoy.

That seems obvious though. Less obvious would be that it doesn’t matter what ‘level’ of your writing career you are on. Starting out, debut, 20 books under your belt, it’s the same for all: almost every single writer I know will go through phases where we question why we do this, etc. Negative thoughts can try to sneak in and tell you that everything you’ve ever written belongs in the trash. When you are feeling THAT down, look at your phone and have a review from someone who says your book changed their life—in a millisecond— your attitude is adjusted and your hope somehow renewed.

19- (Do you have )What is) one question or discussion topic which you would like the readers of this interview to answer or remark on in the comments?

Mental health. Period. The stigma that comes sometimes when we talk about it freely and openly needs to end. Use your voice! Silence only perpetuates the stigma.

20- Anything else you would care to share about your book and yourself?

How about one of my favorite scenes? I love this question! Some backstory: Silas, Kyler’s band mate says, “She’s just a girl, bro” in reference to Lennon. Kyler repeats this in his narrative, when he is afraid he’s catching feelings. This scene is immediately after he shows Lennon his face, and she in turn reveals her OCD and what happened to her mother. I’ve always loved Kyler here.

SHE’S JUST A GIRL, BRO.
I came up here to do a school project, and now we’re in the midst of an emotional hurricane filled with all the issues Lennon from Maine with Serious Issues Who Sews has. The storm of feelings I’m immersed in is maximum-force, category-five brand of bullshit.
Bullshit because we’re sharing.
Not my strongest point.
I showed her my scars.
She showed me hers.
And now we’re connected on some weird level that part of me wanted to avoid while another part of me wanted so see bloom. She’s shaking in my arms like crazy, sobbing, falling apart at the seams, and I’m just trying to keep all the broken pieces of her together. She smells like rain. I love when it rains.

Author Bio:


L.D. Crichton is the author of THE ENCHANTMENT OF EMMA FLETCHER, which received a starred review from School Library Journal. She’s a coffee devotee and lip gloss enthusiast whose infatuation with music is truly astonishing. If she’s not reading, writing, or checking her horoscope for signs from the Universe, you can find her by the water in search of mermaids because they're real. ALL OUR BROKEN PIECES is her first young adult novel. Represented by John Silbersack @ The Bent Agency.

Social links:


Twitter: https://twitter.com/LDCrichton
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ldcrichton/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ldcrichton
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/15267627.L_D_Crichton

All Our Broken Pieces by L.D. Crichton

No comments: