Tuesday, January 7, 2020

2020 Writing Resolutions

It's a new year! A new decade! And, though some might say otherwise, it's not too late to decide on a new year's resolution.

I try to look at new year's resolutions more as guidelines than rules. Rather than saying, "I'm going to send 100 queries!" I tell myself "I'm going to work on my query more and get some feedback." Instead of pledging "I'm going to go to the gym every day!" I think "I'm going to be more active." This kind of thinking works for me - setting a broad goal that I can accomplish in any number of ways, instead of setting a very specific goal that requires one singular task.

For 2020, my goal is to revise the manuscript I wrote for NaNoWriMo last year, and really get the worldbuilding solid. If you haven't made a resolution yet, there are plenty of writing-focused topics that might be a good choice! Maybe you'd like to spend more time on writing, so you could resolve to write for 20 minutes a day or even just to spend more time thinking about your work. Maybe you'd like to focus on some specific goals, like finishing that one manuscript and meeting more fellow writers. Maybe your goal is to be less distracted when you're writing by using apps or timers. Whatever it is, if it gets you writing, it'll be a good one!

What's your resolution for 2020? Drop it in the comments below!

1 comment:

Dena Pawling said...

My writing goal this year is to finish my MG ms and start querying!