Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Operation Awesome #20Questions in #2020 of #NewBook Debut Author Kari Veenstra

Operation Awesome #20Questions in #2020 of #NewBook Debut Author posted by @JLenniDorner of @OpAwesome6
Debut Author Kari Veenstra #NewBook The Rescuer
The Rescuer by Kari Veenstra


1- 1- Do you have a #NewYearsResolution you care to share?

My #NewYearsResolution for 2020 is to draft, write, and edit the sequel to my debut. I think this will be both a challenge for me and an excellent goal to work toward.

2- Would you please, in 160 characters or less, give a #WriteTip ?

Knowing how to write well and knowing how to tell a great story are two different things. Seek to improve at both, and your writing will blossom.

3- What is the best piece of writing advice you've received?

That you don’t have to write every day to be a great writer. There are great writers who do write every day, and there are great writers who don’t. You improve as a writer every time you sit down to write. The more you do it, the faster you improve, but don’t beat yourself up if you can’t or don’t put words on the page every single day.

4- Is your book similar to the Kevin Costner movie "The Guardian" and in what ways?

As far as character, plot, and setting, my book is completely different from The Guardian. However, I’ve heard there are anywhere from 1 to 3 to 7 basic stories in all the world, so if you compare the two works in that light, you will definitely find some definite similarities in regards to story and theme. The biggest similarity is sacrifice. Costner’s character in The Guardian is willing to sacrifice his hopes, dreams, relationships, and even his life to save others. In The Rescuer, Prok Zandin (the main character) is also willing to make these kinds of sacrifices and in doing so drives the entire plot.

5- Would you share a picture with us of your book near water or a liquid?

Debut Author Kari Veenstra - The Rescuer


6- You completed your 2019 Reading Challenge on Goodreads! How many books are on you challenging yourself to read in 2020?

In 2019 I pledged to read 40 books. I’m proud to say I read 45. This year, 45 is my pledge. I’m hoping to not only hit it, but exceed it by a couple. Whatever number I do read will be my goal for 2021.

7- What's your Twitter handle, and do you have two or three writer friends on there to shout-out to for #WriterWednesday ?

You can find me on Twitter @KariVeenstra_
In a round-about way, being on Twitter got me my publication deal. @StuartWhiteWM had a lot to do with it as did AM Dassu @a_reflective . And I’ve met so many wonderful writing friends thanks to @kristen_kieffer ’s #StorySocial chats.

8- What’s one writing goal you hope to accomplish before you die?

Hitting the New York Times Best Seller List is at the top of my writing bucket list.

9- What most motivates you to read a new book?

Cover, tag-lines, and back cover copy are probably the biggest reasons I pick up a book. If it looks interesting and sounds interesting, I’m hooked. I’m less likely to read based on word-of-mouth because I find that my tastes vary vastly from so many other readers.

10- It's our tenth anniversary! How far has your writing come in the past ten years and where do you see your writing career ten years from now?

My writing has improved by leaps and bounds in the last 10 years. I went from writing news articles and web copy to writing fiction. I used to be so self-conscious of my fiction that I did all my writing in secret and didn’t try to connect with other writers at all. Needless to say, that didn’t work out.

My own personal writing style has improved over the last decade as I’ve found and developed my writing voice. I’ve learned so much about writing craft and what makes a great story. I understand why some novels succeed and why others end up as a DNF.. I’ve also learned that Twitter is a great place to build real writing friendships.

In another 10 years, I would love to have my entire Krador Kronicles series published. I have a few other books in the works that I would love to write and get published as well. At least 5 published works over the next decade seems like a great goal to shoot for.

11- What is your favorite book by someone else, what's the author's Twitter handle, and what do you love most about that book? #FridayReads book recommendation time!

Author name: Eoin Colfer @EoinColfer
Title: Artemis Fowl
Love because: The story is just so good! I LOVE this book (and the whole series). The characters and the world sucked me in from page 1 and made me want to be a part of their world. I’ve had my very battered copy for nearly 20 years and have re-read it many times. In addition to being a fun and fantastic fantasy, this book is *the* book that made me want to become a writer.


12- What emotions do you hope your book will evoke for the reader?

In my book, the two core themes are friendship and sacrifice. I want readers to experience loyalty as deeply as my main character Prok Zandin does. I’d love for them to feel the same excitement, fear, exhilaration, and trepidation that he feels throughout the story.

13- What kind of impact do you hope your book will have?

I want my book to inspire my readers with the courage to make tough choices and the willingness to sacrificially give of themselves to help someone else.

14- What is the best writing tool, program, or reference book you've ever bought?

Story Genius by Lisa Cron taught me so much about writing and story. The tagline of that book is “How to use brain science to go beyond outlining and write a riveting novel … before you waste three years writing 327 pages that go nowhere.”

I’ve been working on The Rescuer for YEARS. I rewrote it several times, and while it did get better with each pass, I still wasn’t satisfied; I couldn’t put my finger on what was wrong. Then I read Story Genius and had a lightbulb moment. I completely re-worked the book AGAIN - but this time I did it the Story Genius way, and now I feel confident that I have a complete and compelling story that flows organically from start to finish.

15- diversebooks.org #WeNeedDiverseBooks What's your favorite book with a diverse main character?

One of my favorite reads of 2019 was Front Desk by Kelly Yang. The story is so unique and poignant. It is a fantastic diverse book that gives a clear window into the lives of Chinese immigrants to America and some of the struggles they and their children faced.


16- Who is your favorite book review blogger?

I love Ana and Thea over at The Book Smugglers. Their reviews are easy and fun to read, and I always get good insight from their reviews.

17- What was the deciding factor in your publication route?

I always knew I wanted to be traditionally published. For me, it’s the validation of knowing that someone - a gatekeeper, if you will - liked my book enough to publish it. I also am really looking forward to seeing my book in major bookstores - that was definitely a factor in choosing my publication route.

18- Which author, past or present, do you feel most resembles your work?

My book is very similar to the Adventures Guild by Zack Loren Clark and Nick Eliopulos. It features four unique characters that comes together for an epic adventure and have to work together to reach a common goal.

19- Would you please ask our audience a question to answer in the comments?

I’m always interested in growing my TBR (To Be Read) list, so what is the best book you read last year or what book that you’re currently reading would you recommend for me to add to my list?

20- Anything else you would care to share about your book and yourself?

Debut Author Kari Veenstra
500 feet below the surface of a drowned planet, an underdog gambles his family’s future to help a missing friend. But the price may be more than he’s able to pay, and choice comes with permanent consequences. THE RESCUER, YA SFF - Coming Feb 21 from INtense Publications. Pre-Order here: The Rescuer
KARI VEENSTRA grew up climbing trees in the remote jungles of Papua New Guinea until the day she stuffed all her belongings in a suitcase and traveled to America for college. In the process of studying to become a crack defense attorney, Kari discovered writing was her true passion. This led to a journalism internship and a career in copywriting until Kari switched to writing fiction so she could spend more time with her family. Kari now lives in the deserts of El Paso, Texas, with her husband and two children, and is always on the lookout for a good tree to climb. To connect with Kari online, visit http://kariveenstra.com

Twitter: @KariVeenstra_

Facebook: @KariVeenstra.Author


The Rescuer by Kari Veenstra

No comments: