Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Celebrating Beethoven's 250th Birthday

 

The only portrait of Beethoven painted from life | Apollo Magazine

(Photo credit and history of the painting)

With my background in music, I cannot forget my first piano teacher who had a poster of this Ludwig van Beethoven portrait by Joseph Karl Stieler. The portrait has captured my imagination, especially the tale that the painter had to finish the hands by memory because Beethoven refused another sitting.

The best known guess for Beethoven's birth is December 17th, 1770 since he was baptized on the 17th, although he was probably born a day or two earlier. Regardless, this week will mark his 250th birthday.

I usually listen to Beethoven while writing, and I have selected some of my favorites beyond the widely known 5th and 9th Symphonies. May these pieces be your writing background music and inspiration for your writing to celebrate his 250th birthday.

Piano Sonata No. 5 in C Minor; Op. 10 No. 1 -1. Allegro molto e con brio

Rage over a lost penny Op. 129 

Symphony No 4 in B flat major 

Symphony No 7 in A major, Op. 92

Fidelio (Beethoven's only opera) 


What music do you listen to while you write? Do you have favorite composers, bands, groups? Favorite pieces? Something you listen to every time you write?

 

 

 





 


 

 

 

 

 

No comments: