Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Spotlight on New Book Debut Author Jessica Lewis

Operation Awesome Spotlight #20Questions in #2021 of #NewBook Debut Author posted by @JLenniDorner of @OpAwesome6


Bad Witch Burning by Jessica Lewis


1- There appears to be an animal or familiar on your cover. Would you tell us about that creature?

The dog on the cover is named Conrad! He’s a mastiff-mix, 145 pounds of muscle and sweet personality and drool. He belongs to the main character of BAD WITCH BURNING, Katrell.

2- Would you please, in 160 characters or less, give a #WriteTip ?

Don’t be afraid to change directions if something isn’t working!

3- What most motivates you to read a new book?

My personal immediate-buys: sapphics, monsters, mysterious and dangerous woods, murder. In that order, hah!

4- What is your favorite cooking show and who is your favorite celebrity chef?

I’ve seen Kitchen Nightmares no less than five times. I wish I was kidding. So obviously Gordon Ramsay is a favorite!

5- Would you share a picture with us of your book with something fun?

#NewBook #DebutAuthor #2021Books Spotlight on New Book Debut Author Jessica Lewis

6- Has the pandemic had any impact on your writing or publishing?

Everyone knows how its affected publishing—longer delays, no more live events, overwhelming sense of dread. But I did actually have a positive impact. At the beginning, I was furloughed from my full-time job for three months. I wrote three whole books, start to finish. It was a nice!! I see why writers quit their day jobs now!

7- What's your Twitter handle, and do you have two or three writer friends on there to shout-out to for #WriterWednesday ?

Mine: @JLew100
Courtney Gould @gayowyn
J. Elle@AuthorJ_Elle

8- When did you first know you wanted to publish a book someday?

I wrote for fun in middle and high school, but I didn’t get serious about pursuing publication until my senior year in college.

9- Are you a Plotter, Pantser, or Plantser, and how did you adopt that style?

Plotter. I tried to pants once, and it took me a year and a half and many tears to wrangle it into readable shape. My normal time is about six months, so I know that pantsing isn’t for me!

10- What does your basic writing schedule look like, and how often do you write?

Since I have a full-time job, I can only write on the weekends and after work.

11- What is your favorite book by someone else, what's the author's Twitter handle, and what do you love most about that book? #FridayReads book recommendation time!

Author name: Chad Lucas @ChadGALucas
Title: THANKS A LOT, UNIVERSE
Love because: it’s a wonderfully realistic book about a middle school experience!


12- What emotions do you hope your book will evoke for the reader?

Several people have told me they cried while reading! I also hope people feel a little spooked after reading certain scenes.

13- What kind of impact do you hope your book will have?

I hope kids who grew up like me, poor and struggling and angry, can see themselves in this book.

14- What is your favorite creative non-writing activity to do?

I love watching anime! I’ve been an avid fan since I was in middle school. A recent favs is To Your Eternity.

15- In what ways are the main characters in your book diverse? diversebooks.org #WeNeedDiverseBooks

My main character, Katrell, is a Black, plus-size teenager who struggles with depression toward the end of the book. BWB also has a nearly all-Black cast.

16- When you need the spelling of a word, where do you turn?

google, of course

17- What was the deciding factor in your publication route?

I’ve always wanted to be traditionally published. It’s the best route for me, since I’m not that great at marketing on my own. Plus, it’ll be amazing to see my book in stores!

18- What's the biggest writing goal you hope to accomplish in your lifetime?

I really want someone to use BWB as a comp in their query letter. What an honor that would be! Someone not only loved it enough to read it, but also compare it to their precious work. AND that means more YA horror entering the world!!

19- Would you please ask our audience a question to answer in the comments?

what’s your favorite 2021 release so far this year?

20- Anything else you would care to share about your book and yourself?

#NewBook #DebutAuthor #2021Books Spotlight on New Book Debut Author Jessica Lewis

Bio:

Jessica Lewis is a Black author and receptionist from Alabama. She has a degree in English Literature and Animal Science (the veterinarian plan did not work out). She lives with her way-funnier-than-her grandmother, who answers all of her wild questions about ghosts and zombies and werewolves, even if she’s annoyed sometimes (read: all the time). When she isn't writing or working, she enjoys binge watching cooking shows and anime or playing farming sims. Her debut novel, BAD WITCH BURNING, has two starred reviews and releases August 24, 2021.
Social media: @JLew100
Website: https://authorjessicalewis.com


Bad Witch Burning by Jessica Lewis

1 comment:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I can't believe Jessica wrote three books in three months, even if she was furloughed. Congrats on her debut book. I can't wait to read it.