Sunday, September 26, 2010

1k a Day: Write-a-Thon and Chat News

Yesterday, I posted my first 1k a Day word count on my blog. I'm glad to tell you, friends, that day one was a success!

(cue applause)

I credit my success to one tool that our OA gang loves. It's call the Write-a-Thon.

What is a Write-a-Thon? Well, I'm so glad you asked! A Write-a-Thon is when a group of writers join together in a chat room for the singular purpose of writing our butts off. What we do is set a timer for 20 minutes, and then take off and write...write...write. I'm not sure why it helps so much. Perhaps it is because one feels motivated when she knows others are writing at the same time. It also helps because it helps avoid procrastination; there are only 20 minutes to get things done.

When the 20 minutes are finished, we converge back in chat and report our word count. We chat for maybe like 5 minutes, get snacks, and then we go for another round. Last night, I was able to write 1,339 words in three rounds of Write-a-Thon.

So to help you all out--and me too--we've created a chat room for the sole purpose of writing. If you join the chat and nobody is talking, it could be they are in the middle of a serious Write-a-Thon. You are all welcome to join in the fun. And writing together really does makes it more fun! Try it out. Meet some new writers. Write with the OA gang.

FYI: I tend to write after lunch, around 12:20 or 1:00pm Central Time during the weekdays.

Here is a LINK to the OA Writing Lab. When joining, please come with the attitude of kicking word count butt.

Edit: The password to the room is awesome