Monday, September 20, 2010

Writing Tip: Embrace The Blueness






Maybe you like pirates. You think they’re the best thing ever. You go to your local bookstore and search for a pirate novel. You find a few and buy them. After reading them, you figure they’re okay, but you can write one that’s waaaay better. Why not? You’ve been obsessed with pirates forever, right?

One fine day, you stroll down the sidewalk, minding your own business. Then… it happens…

You get an idea for a book.

Without pirates.

You can either hyperventilate and curse yourself for betraying Captain Hook, or you can do what I always do: embrace the blueness.



Original here




People make plans all the time. Want to be married and have 2.5 kids by the time you’re 30? Nab an agent by the end of the year? Get published? Great. That might happen. But it might not.

And that’s okay.

I believe some of the best things in one’s life happen out of the blue. So what if you never saw it coming? That doesn’t make it less special. Hate surprises? Well, tough luck. Life’s full of ‘em.

Give the blueness a chance. Trust me—your future will thank you for it.

And you can always write that pirate book another time, right? :)




6 comments:

Kelly Polark said...

I love that embrace the blueness. True, I never saw myself writing an mg, I thought I was just a picture book writer. But I am loving it! Other things that come out of the blue, my family will be moving out of state soon after I always pictured us living in our current home for another twenty years. I'm a little sad, but will embrace it and know things can be better than ever!

Katrina L. Lantz said...

Aww, that rose is beautiful! I love this idea, Amparo. You are always so creative! And it's so true that things come out of the blue, and usually they end up as beautiful as this rose if we give them a chance.

Thanks for another great post!

Amparo Ortiz said...

Thanks for liking it :)

I definitely wanted to tackle this topic today, especially since I'm going through a blue phase myself. Lots to ponder...

Best of luck with your blue phases, everyone!

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

Great post. Sometimes the best ideas are the ones that come out of nowhere!

Lindsay said...

Awesome post. I'm feeling the blueness today. But I'm embracing it. Sometimes it's good for the soul :)

Danielle said...

Great post, I love the idea of blueness. There's so much blueness in my life I'm turning into a smurf.