Friday, December 3, 2021

Querying and Running- An apt analogy? Query Support Group

 

It's time for a hard truth. I haven't sent a new batch of queries out in months. MONTHS. 

That wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. The "Why" of me not sending queries is a bit harder. I've heard of a lot of reasons people quit querying:

  • They discovered a giant plot hole
  • They fell out of love with the story
  • It wasn't the right timing for the story
  • They exhausted the list of agents who accepted novels in their genre
  • Instead of rewriting the query they decided to just rewrite the whole story

Or in a similar vein

  • They got seduced by a SNI (Shiny New Idea)

For me, none of these are the culprit. Here is the truth- Querying is Hard. Like, it sucks. I've heard that querying for most people is a marathon- and that's an appropriate anology. There is work to be done before you even start the race, and no matter how much you prepare you can come away sore, bruised, and exhausted. So, why do we bother?

Shrug Memes 

Ehhhh....we've got goals (or something), and somewhere along the way we decided that the trade off of pain for a chance to realize our dreams and cross that finish line was worth it. And even when I'm battered and bruised from the sting of rejection and bum that's spent too long in a chair, I still believe it is. 

So, if your query journey has been painful or uncomfortable, know that your not alone. What your working for is worth it. And you don't have to be the fastest or the first across. Just make it to the finish line.

Finish Line GIF | Gfycat


I will be sending out a new batch of quires soon... very soon (pinky swear). In the meantime, I've found that both in running and writing the work is a little easier if someone is cheering you on. Don't hesitate to comment below if you need a fan or find me on Twitter @MidlifeCreative or using the hashtag #QuerySupportGroup. Look forward to meeting you all in the trenches!



No comments: