Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Spotlight on New Book Debut Author Amanda Pavlov

Operation Awesome Spotlight #20Questions in #2021 of #NewBook Debut Author posted by @JLenniDorner of @OpAwesome6


Mind Like a Diamond by Amanda Pavlov


1- Your blog mentions several comedians. Should we expect a good bit of humor in your book?

Yes absolutely! I started performing standup comedy over a decade ago, but recent times have made it harder to safely tell jokes to live audiences. One of my favorite things to write is witty banter. I also find humor to be the perfect balance to horror.

2- Would you please, in 160 characters or less, give a #WriteTip ?

Read everything you can—craft books, bestsellers, and niche novels that speak directly to the audience you hope to attract. An aspiring author who doesn’t read in their genre is like an aspiring chef who won’t eat in restaurants. Consuming good art helps you create it.

3- What most motivates you to read a new book?

I am fortunate to have lots of friends who read voraciously and know my tastes. Most of my favorite books lately have been recommended to me by them.

4- Does the ivy on your cover have a special meaning in your book, Mind Like a Diamond?

There are two different scenes that mirror each other featuring ivy. I wanted it on the cover because it reminds me of New Orleans and I wanted people to know early on where the story is set.

5- Would you share a picture with us of your book?

#NewBook #DebutAuthor #2021Books Spotlight on New Book Debut Author Amanda Pavlov Mind Like a Diamond #ya #urbanfantasy #witches #pirates #escaperoom


6- Could you please tell us about Bekah’s silent auction?

Sure! My author friend Bekah Berge has an extremely painful condition requiring medical treatment her insurance will not cover. She bravely reached out asking for auction items to raise money and 30 authors responded to help. I was happy to offer a query and first pages critique. I was delightfully surprised when my literary agent, CeCe Lyra of PS Literary, offered a one-on-one zoom call as a prize as well. I am so fortunate to have such a kind and generous agent on my side. Ultimately we raised over 2,000 and Bekah is elated. She will start her treatment in February and I’ll definitely be updating my followers on her inspirational story.


7- What's your Twitter handle, and do you have two or three writer friends on there to shout-out to for #WriterWednesday ?

@PavlovsBooks
My incredibly talented friends @StorySorcery @BritneySLewis both have books coming out in 2022! You should follow them and add their books on GoodReads if you love speculative fiction with lyrical writing snd complex, fully fleshed out characters.

8- Do you have a favorite #bookstagram image or account/ profile?

@webreakforbooks
Susan is an awesome reviewer, we connected on Bookstagram over our shared love of books and dogs. She has the cutest puppy, Luna.

9- Are you a Plotter, Pantser, or Plantser, and how did you adopt that style?

I go back and forth, pantsing when I have inspiration and outlining when I get stuck. I’ve never been a very linear thinker and switching things up keeps my brain engaged.

10- What does your basic writing schedule look like, and how often do you write?

I have two hours (3-4pm and 11pm-midnight) blocked out on my calendar every day. I don’t ALWAYS make both sessions, more often it’s one or the other, but it’s rare for me to miss a day.

11- What is your favorite book by someone else, what's the author's Twitter handle, and what do you love most about that book? #FridayReads book recommendation time!

Author name: Jennifer Moffett @jbmoffett1
Title: Those Who Prey
Love because: I could NOT put this book down! It was a thrilling, yet emotionally complex read containing a variety of settings, both familiar and totally foreign. It actually felt like traveling, which is something I have been craving.


12- What emotions do you hope your book will evoke for the reader?

I hope it will thrill them, but also help them face their fears, regardless of what those fears may be.

13- What kind of impact do you hope your book will have?

I hope teenagers who have genuine flaws and struggles will see themselves in Lisette and feel empowered to break their generational curses.

14- What is your favorite creative non-writing activity to do?

I enjoy performing standup comedy

15- diversebooks.org #WeNeedDiverseBooks What's your favorite book with a diverse main character?

Oh so many great books with diverse characters! I loved Legendborn by Tracy Deonn. Especially because the protagonist is processing her grief as anger, which is familiar to me.
Also have to shoutout Casey McQuiston because she’s also from Louisiana and her casts are always so fascinating and diverse. I know everyone loves Red White and Royal Blue but One Last Stop was even better to me!

16- What method do you feel is the best way to get book reviews?

To be frank, I haven’t done much to get book reviews. Maybe I should start? If you like my book please review it. If you hate it, write a better one. I would love to read it.

17- What was the deciding factor in your publication route?

I was unagented for my first book and signed with a small press (Sword and Silk Books) because I liked the speed of publication offered and because they believed in my messy protagonist. But I think there are so many roads to publication and the best one is the one that calls to you. My second book (an adult horror satire) is on submission now and it’s been amazing having the support and expertise of a literary agent.

18- What's the biggest writing goal you hope to accomplish in your lifetime?

So many brilliant authors and editors have helped me refine my craft. My biggest goal is to create a program that gives back. I would love to host a writing retreat in my hometown of New Orleans someday.

19- Would you please ask our audience a question to answer in the comments?

What makes a book five stars for you?

20- Anything else you would care to share about your book and yourself?
#NewBook #DebutAuthor #2021Books Spotlight on New Book Debut Author Amanda Pavlov Mind Like a Diamond #ya #urbanfantasy #witches #pirates #escaperoom

A teenage gymnast on the brink of eviction takes a big leap and enters a cursed competition. She’s skeptical of her mother’s claim that they’re descendants of pirate witches, but this Halloween night she’ll learn that you don’t have to believe in magic for it to kill you.

Amanda Pavlov started performing standup in her hometown of New Orleans over a decade ago. She found her voice on stage. Prior to that, she amused her Creative Writing professors with imitations of Kurt Vonnegut and Miranda July. She believes in science, kindness, and crossing the street to pet every dog she sees.


Mind Like a Diamond by Amanda Pavlov

No comments: