Monday, May 30, 2022

June is Audio Book Appreciation Month!

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Audio_Book_Icon_1.svg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Audio_Book_(21044)_-_The_Noun_Project.svg
Which audio book icon do you like best?

I've written before about my memorable experience with the audio version of The Martian by Andy Weir.

I first tried to read it in e-book form from my local library, but the science descriptions bogged me down and really slowed the pace.  I couldn't get past chapter 5.  But the movie was coming out soon, and I'd heard good things about it, so I tried again.  At the time, I worked in an office about 35 miles from my house, and my commute time was over an hour each way.  So I checked out the audio book from my library.

I specifically remember one day I had to pull over on the side of the freeway because I was laughing so hard I couldn't see where I was going and almost crashed my car.

The narrator can make or break the book.

How many minutes is the average audio book?
How much does an audio book narrator earn?
See this site!

Is listening to a book "cheating"?

The 20 best audio book narrators.  Neil Gaiman has narrated most of his own books!  I've read audio books narrated by George Guidall, Scott Brick, and Lorelei King from this list.  What about you?

How to become an audio book narrator

Audio book performance master class [includes Scott Brick!]

The secret life of an audio book star

What is the best or most recent audio book you've read?  Tell us in the comments!




1 comment:

Kate Larkindale said...

I've only ever listened to one: Jeremy Irons reading Lolita. I don't particularly like audio books - I'd rather read with my eyes than my ears. I don't do podcasts either.