Friday, April 29, 2022

#AtoZ Challenge - Fiction to Film - The Martian

Y is for The Martian by AndY Weir

The Martian was published in 2011.  Andy Weir actually wrote it several years before then, and posted it on his blog because he wanted readers to help him get the science right.  Eventually he self-published it on Amazon, where it was seen by an agent and picked up by a major publisher.

Mark Watney is a botanist accompanying an exploration team on a month-long stay on Mars.  On day 6, a massive wind and dust storm threatens to topple the Ascent Vehicle and strand everyone on Mars.  During the evacuation, an antenna blows free and impales Watney.  He is then blown out of sight.  The rest of the crew presumes he died, and leave Mars without him.

Except he didn't die.  The rest of the story details how he survives and NASA's efforts to retrieve him.

I first tried to read it in e-book form from my local library, but the science descriptions bogged me down and really slowed the pace.  I couldn't get past chapter 5.  But the movie was coming out soon, and I'd heard good things about it, so I tried again.  At the time, I worked in an office about 35 miles from my house, and my commute time was over an hour each way.  So I checked out the audio book from my library.

I specifically remember one day I had to pull over on the side of the freeway because I was laughing so hard I couldn't see where I was going and almost crashed my car.

J here on OA told me that because I read the book on audio, I missed some of the visual laughs in the book.  He gave me this sample.

The movie came out in 2015 and starred Matt Damon as Mark Watney. 

The movie is mostly true to the book, but has condensed science descriptions and fewer f-bombs.  Viewers know what's going on without boredom or slow pacing.

I would definitely read the audio book again AND watch the movie again.  What about you?  Tell us in the comments!

 


No comments: