Saturday, April 9, 2022

AtoZ Challenge: Fiction to Film: Harry Potter and The Socerer's Stone

                                  

Ahh... Harry Potter. While controversy may swirl around the author of these books, there is no denying that Harry Potter managed to catch the imaginations of many of us in its day.

I was slow to catch on to the Harry Potter rage. It was middle grade- I was not, and the premise sounded too farfetched to be compelling... but I was wrong. Once I got around to reading them, I loved the books and I was so excited, if nervous, when the first Harry Potter film followed four years later. After all it's hard to beat the magic of the books.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001) - IMDb

But, in my humble opinion, the movie was so GOOD. 

To start, the casting was amazing. All the characters were the very picture of what was described in the book, and the kids actually looked like kids! The adult casting was also on point. Hagrid is exactly as I pictured him in my head, even if some special effects had to be used to make the actor who portrays him, Robbie Coltrane, look like the 8 foot (12 in the books) half-giant he was intended to be.

The sets were amazing, and the first time we entered the great hall in Hogwarts for the sorting hat ceremony, I knew I was hooked. 

Speaking of...while the books never did, the movies give me winter holiday vibes and I tend to re-watch them in December leading up to the holidays... Anyone else? I think its the excellent soundtrack.

There are so many pieces of the story that I could not quite visualize when left to my own devices but the movies accomplished beautifully, like

Quidditch

Quidditch Premier League launches today: Harry Potter sport hits UK | Films  | Entertainment | Express.co.uk 

Nearly Headless Nick

 Nearly Headless Nick | Wiki | Harry Potter Amino

Fluffy

 Fluffy | Harry Potter Wiki | Fandom

and Wizard's Chess

Rewatching Harry Potter: The Philosopher's Stone | A Fandom of its Own

JUST SO WELL DONE!

I think the story line was accurately captured as well. At times, it felt a little bit like a highlight reel, but nothing that actually hurt my understanding of the story.

And I know that the movie opened the door for so many to read the books, and all the successive books following.

                                                    So much WIN | Know Your Meme

As the characters age, the story gets darker, both in the books and in the movies. The story continues to meet its audience at a level they are ready to accept. Unfortunately, I think the later movies got a bit weird, but let's end on a positive note..
                                                 Mcgonagall Clapping GIF - Mcgonagall Clapping 10Points For Gryffindor -  Discover & Share GIFs


What are your thoughts? Did you love them or hate them? Share in the comments below!


3 comments:

Afshan Shaik said...

My all time fav books n movies....i heart them...grew up with them...nice post which exactly reads my mind..first couple of movies r too sweet as they were kids....and premise was still innocent i feel..still i love all the movies and read books multiple times

Dropping by from a to z http://afshan-shaik.blogspot.com/

Idea-ist said...

Definitely one of the best books, one of the best book to movie translations. I wanted to live in Harry's world when I was a kid, and now as an adult, I still want to live there! @GetLostInLit

Frewin55 said...

I haven't read the books but I wonder if the things like Quidditch were imaginable by JKR because of the things that she would have seen happening on screen?