Wednesday, April 27, 2022

#BookToFilm of What's Eating Gilbert Grape by Peter Hedges #atozchallenge

 



I first watched the film and then read the book after being recommended to watch the film in 2012. I immediately fell in love with the film (1993), and then read the book. While I love both versions, I am more likely to watch the film due to not owning a physical copy of the novel. Yet. It is on my "to buy and own" list.

The protagonist is Gilbert Grape, who works at the grocery store as a clerk while caring for obese mother Bonnie, sister Amy, sister Ellen, and younger brother Arnie. Gilbert works, takes care of his family, and makes repairs on the house. Their father died by suicide, which impacted every family member. A young woman, Becky, and her grandmother, are going through town and need to make repairs before they can move on. Gilbert and Becky fall in love, and Gilbert learns about who he is and who he wants to be.

The characters are just wholesome and real. They could be people I'd encounter in the sleepy little town where I currently live. 



The story is emotional, and I usually cry near the end, so I won't spoil it. There are moments of humor throughout, and times where I wonder where the emotion wheel is so I can find all the layers of emotion that I feel when engaging with the story.


I equally prefer the book (minus one change to Becky's age) and the film. I simply cannot choose.


Do you have a go to story that makes you cry in a cathartic way? Do you have a story that you love the book and the screen version equally?



#AtoZChallenge 2022 tribute badge
Our usual posting schedule will resume in May. The next Pass or Pages is June/July. Thanks for visiting!

Operation Awesome 2022 normal posting schedule 

1 comment:

Kate Larkindale said...

Crying at movies is my favourite thing. I rarely cry in real life, so crying at the movies is kind of a catharsis.