Monday, April 25, 2022

#BookToFilm of The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera #atozchallenge


I was introduced to the book during a modern fiction course during my undergraduate years of studying Creative Writing way back in the day. It is a gorgeous novel with repetitive passages and beautifully written and lyrical moments with philosophical themes. Tomas is a surgeon and intellectual who marries Tereza. Tomas considers sex and love to be separate. He has sex with many women, but he only loves Tereza. Sabina is one of Tomas's long time mistresses, who has an affair with Franz, a Geneva professor. Karenin is Tomas and Teresa's dog, who if you can't tolerate the death of pets in stories and films, you have been warned and this is the only spoiler I will provide.

Warning: there is sex in the book and in the film. 

There is only one film, The Unbearable Lightness of Being (1988). I watched it for this post, and I can't wait to own a copy. My initial impression was full of doubt when I found it, because how could the beautiful novel I remember be translated to the screen with any justice?

Am I glad my initial impression was wrong.


The music was amazing, and the length of the film, while longer than I prefer, was an experience. I do not see how the film could be made shorter. I watched the extras like I usually do for films I adore. It was amazing for me to see how the filmmakers worked together to bring the characters and story to life.

When the story was being filmed, the book was banned in Milan Kundera's native Czechoslovakia, so the story was filmed in France. Kundera did consult on the film, and in a note to a later Czech edition of the book, Kundera said that the movie had little of the novel's spirit or characters, which influenced his decision to not allow any adaptations of his work. The film must be viewed with the book as inspiration, according to Cattrysse Patrick.

The filmmakers showed the film to native Czechs who were astounded that the film was made in France because it looked so much like Czechoslovakia. Some film crew members even went to Czechoslovakia to bring to France native beers and food so the scenes had additional authenticity. Movie magic.

I am not a film guru beyond enjoying films as a consumer, but the graphic novel and comics artist in me is excited when I see how filmmakers have chosen to transition scenes, point of view, and moving the camera (Russian Ark filmed in one take, hello 96 minutes). The Unbearable Lightness of Being film had scenes of archival footage depicting the Soviet invasion combined with new material shot in Lyon. The color transitions and transportation back in time is something I do not have the words to describe. You will just have to experience it for yourself.

Hands down, one of my favorite films. Of all time. I highly recommend reading and watching the story with TW of pet death and sex.

Is there a novel/film that impacts other parts of your life, like the film here influencing how I draw comics? Now I'm wondering if one of my works is adapted to screen, will I have a similar stance to Kundera? What do you think, will you let your work be adapted or is it a no go?



#AtoZChallenge 2022 tribute badge
Our usual posting schedule will resume in May. The next Pass or Pages is June/July. Thanks for visiting!
Operation Awesome 2022 normal posting schedule

No comments: