Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Dori Aleman-Medina answers #13Questions in OA's Debut Author Spotlight

Operation Awesome Spotlight #13Questions of #NewBook Debut Author posted by @JLenniDorner of @OpAwesome6 2022

13 Questions shine Operation Awesome's Spotlight
on this
2022 Debut Author



Juliana Lopez is Fu*king Fire: 21 Boys Later... by Dori Aleman-Medina


1- Any exciting holiday plans this December that you can share with us?

Christmas time is my second favorite (Halloween is first) of the year! Not quite a holiday event, but we’re going to see the Beastie Boys Exhibit in Los Angeles. I love the Beastie Boys. We’re also going to see the IllumiNature at the Fresno Zoo. There is also a Las Posadas event in Barrio Logan in San Diego we will attend. We have family all over so we’ll make a great loop of California.

2- Would you please, in 160 characters or less, give a #WriteTip ?

#Createflawedcharacters

3- What emotions do you hope your book will evoke for the reader?

I want readers to have a connection to Juliana. She’s flawed, makes mistakes, creates problems by accident. I want readers to feel, “oh girl, I’ve been there, don’t do that.” I hope readers feel as if she’s someone they can relate to.

Empathy, compassion, romance vibes-I hope readers fall in love with her, understand her choices, and even become angry when she does those things….

4- How did you come up with the title "Juliana Lopez is Fu*king Fire: 21 Boys Later... "?

The truth is-she told me that’s what it’s called. I have long, involved conversations with her in my head. 🤣 Juliana Lopez is fire. It’s her mantra. She is a survivor and still believes she’s going to find her true love. It’s been a working title for so long, nothing else felt right.

5- Would you share a picture with us of your book with a pet or by a fire?

Yes! I have both-I’ll share both.
Dori Aleman-Medina answers #13Questions in OA's Debut Author Spotlight #cat #romance #NewBook #DebutAuthor #2022Books #13Questions Dori Aleman-Medina answers #13Questions in OA's Debut Author Spotlight #fire #romance #NewBook #DebutAuthor #2022Books #13Questions


6- How do you support your fellow debut authors and have any of them supported you?

Yes, I belong to writing groups that meet here in Southern California and have author friends who trade work with me. We support each other like that. I also read indie authors who are self-published.

7- Time to double-down on social media! What's your Twitter handle, and do you have two or three writer friends on there to shout-out to for #WriterWednesday ?
Also, can you please recommend a favorite #bookstagram account profile?


I don’t use Twitter much.

Instagram:
@Read_between.the_wines
@thebookstagramcommunity
@authorkvrose


8- What is your favorite creative non-writing activity to do?
Dori Aleman-Medina answers #13Questions in OA's Debut Author Spotlight #romance #NewBook #DebutAuthor #2022Books #13Questions

I make charcuterie boards for friends. I also run a school-based garden for children with learning disabilities.

9- In what ways are the main characters in your book diverse? diversebooks.org #WeNeedDiverseBooks

I’m Latino and write Latino romance novels. Within my stories, I try to include neurodiverse characters (ADHD, autism, and other disabilities). I also have characters who use therapy and discuss their own mental health struggles to help normalize needing outside help.

10- What's the biggest writing goal you hope to accomplish in your lifetime? #WriteGoal #BucketList #WriterBucketList

Ohhh, to quit my day job and live (in California) as a full time writer. I’d love to have time to finish writing all the ideas I have. Since that might not happen, I want to finish the work I have started. I want people to love my people as much as I do (or at least half as much-I’d be okay with half.)
Dori Aleman-Medina answers #13Questions in OA's Debut Author Spotlight #romance #NewBook #DebutAuthor #2022Books #13Questions

11- How did you come to the decision not to send a query letter?

I decided to self publish. There are several authors I love who explained their reasons for doing so. I understand those reasons. My market can seem narrow, Latino romance novels? The romance novel market is extremely saturated. I also hit a milestone birthday this year and evaluated what is important to me. I have hit all my professional goals. I was not able to write for a long time. I have a child with special needs who needed my attention. Now that he is in an independent place, I have time for my personal goals again. My husband encouraged me to self publish. He’s a fan of Gary Vee. He’s an all in-just go for it, kind of guy.

12- Would you please ask our audience an intriguing question to answer in the comments?

What’s the worst thing your partner did, but you forgave? (I don’t mean something like domestic violence-I mean, he threw away your engagement ring by accident because he has tissues left all over the counter.) No trigger warning responses-I’m a mandated reporter.

13- Anything else you would care to share about your book and yourself?
Dori Aleman-Medina answers #13Questions in OA's Debut Author Spotlight #romance #NewBook #DebutAuthor #2022Books #13Questions

I live in beautiful Southern California with my favorite husband, my son, a cat and a dog, all who are not allowed to read the stories I write. I grew up in Fresno, CA, in a house that was near a Vons and Holmes Playground. I did not attend Roosevelt High School. I love the Tower District and Fresno City College. I’m Latinx, but I don’t speak Spanish. I have fallen in and out of love, gone to therapy, and struggled with emotional regulation. I am educated but I feel like a fraud. I have many stories to write but worry what my mom might think. I’m just like everyone else.

Instagram: 21.boys.later
Facebook: Dori Aleman-Medina, author


Juliana Lopez is Fu*king Fire: 21 Boys Later... by Dori Aleman-Medina

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Girl! So proud of you! ❤❤❤❤❤