Friday, December 11, 2015

Guest Post: Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner: My 1st NaNoWriMo, by Julia Despain





I always knew I was going to be a writer someday. Four kids later, “someday” kept getting pushed further and further away. After my grandmother passed away, I was browsing through her bookshelves and found a shelf devoted to “how to write and get published” books. My aunt noticed the books I was going through and told me that my grandma had always wanted to write a book, but she never did.
   
I knew right then that “someday” was up to me, and I didn’t want my story to end the same way.

Yet, I still didn’t write. Oh, I have ideas, lots of idea. I have so many titles for books I could probably write a book about it, but I could never get pen to paper (so to say). I had heard of NaNoWriMo before, but it was a scary idea. Not to mention that Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite holiday and I wasn’t willing to compromise my holiday for writing! Why did it have to happen in November? I also have a tendency to listen to the annoying inner self-doubter. I wasn’t really sure I had it in me. So, I never tried, until now.

I decided this year I was going to do it. I signed myself up for the NaNoWriMo, picked one of my many story ideas, declared myself a “pantser” and went for it.  That is, until November 1st rolled around, three days later. Everything piled up, I had so much going on that I couldn’t stop to write, not even a word. After a few days of this pattern, I had a long talk with myself and decided that if I was ever going to write I needed to make time to write! Then suddenly “someday” became TODAY. I packed up my laptop, and went to my dentist appointment. I made a promise to myself that I wasn’t going to go home until I had written something, anything. I sat at the dentist looking out a window at a little bakery, I decided that when I was done I would go there to write, and get myself a motivational treat.

It was my first experience with NaNoWriMo writing. I sat down with my pumpkin cheesecake, and newly cleaned teeth; I pulled out my laptop, feeling very official and important. Then I remembered that my laptop is more like a mobile desktop; it has to be plugged in at all times! I frantically searched for an outlet and found one about six feet up on the wall. I climbed up on the booth and plugged myself in. Feeling less cool, and too embarrassed to make eye contact with anyone, I began to write.

That was all it took for me. I knew that I was several thousand words behind but that didn’t scare me anymore. I went for it. I was all in. I declared to Facebook that I was doing it, because nothing’s official until it’s on Facebook! I didn’t even let the naysayers get me down. I wrote and wrote until I was sure I had caught up. I did a word count that night… 500 words.

Not what I was hoping for, but it was better than nothing. I got really good at giving myself pep talks. Just when I started to feel like I would never catch up, I got invited to my first ever “sprint.” I was awful, really, really awful!! In 30 minuets I typed something like 600 words. I did learn a very important lesson though. Stop trying to edit while you write! I was constantly deleting sentences that I didn’t like, or fixing misspelled words. In an effort to get more words on my next sprint I practiced. I set a timer and wrote like crazy. I never reread anything I wrote during a sprint. I soon began looking forward to those sprints; it was enough motivation for me to know that someone else knew that I was writing.

At times the month would drag on. I feared that I wasn’t going to make it. I did have my back up motivation. I knew I had to finish, because, let’s face, it a 30 day trial of Scrivener is not enough--I NEEDED that program! There was a pretty sweat deal at the end for Winners, and I hate paying full price for anything! So, when I needed a little extra push I would wave that little figurative coupon in front of my face and plug on.

I gave my self a cheering section to keep the morale up. My family was incredibly supportive. They listened each night at the dinner table as I explained my frustrations. Gave me advice on what to do with my characters and listened as I talked myself through difficult scenes. Their excitement was infectious.

Time was increasingly hard to come by, so I strategically invited myself to Thanksgiving dinner at my sister-in-law's house, which would give me 14 hours in the car to write.  I then spent a Saturday making 40 freezer meals , so that I wouldn’t have to shop or cook for the rest of the month. It still wasn’t easy to find time, so I let everything else go. Laundry piled up, floors went unswept, the bathrooms got so bad that my husband cleaned them, and in general I allowed myself to be OK with that.

I still spent a lot of late nights struggling to keep writing. After three weeks, I fell asleep one night while typing.  Then, as I was stalling scrolling through Facebook I noticed a sprint invite. I hadn’t sprinted in a while and it started in two minutes. I quickly opened up my story and began writing as fast as I could knowing I would be a couple minutes behind, but not wanting to have to put up a pathetic word count again. I let nothing distract me. It was a double sprint with 15 minutes in between. I quickly updated my word count and kept writing. I was at a really good part in my story. I set a timer for when the second half of the sprint was to start but I kept typing like there was nothing else in the world more important than this story. When the timer went off I went to update my second word count only to notice a message that went something like this: “That’s great, but this was my sprint from last night.”

Wait… What…?

Sure enough I had just sprinted for an hour with … nobody. Everyone finished this sprint 24 hours ago! I did finish my word count for the day though, so there’s that. I don’t do well without sleep.

On November 30th, after a month of writing, staying up late, struggling to figure out what came next in my story and doubting I would be able to do it, I emerged victorious! I submitted that final word count, gave myself a quick pat on the back, and frantically searched for my Scrivener discount code. Apparently, I really will do ANYTHING for a discount.

If I were to sum up my first ever NaNoWriMo experience and give a future first timers advice it would be this:

1: It’s hard: 50,000 words is a lot!
2: Don’t give up; don’t ever, ever give up!
3: Quiet that inner voice, telling you that there are more important things you should be doing. It’s only 30 days out of 365. You deserve 30 days.
4: Find and join a sprint, writing group or local write-in. It will help you to know that there are other people out there doing exactly the same thing you are.
5: Write on: It doesn’t have to be 50,000 good words, just 50,000 words.  You can always make them better later… or not. You get to choose what comes next.

***********


Julia Despain: I love reading, and l love writing. Even from a very young age I kept a journal, wrote poems, short stories, anything.  I used to sneak into my little sister’s room at night, and make up bedtime stories-- a tradition I still continue with my own children. I have been blessed or cursed at times with a very vivid imagination. It helped me pass the time in math class.

In college, I was finishing up my degree and had several upper division credits that I needed. I filled them up with extra English classes. The professor asked me why I was taking the class; I wasn’t an English major, and those were usually the only people who took her class. After explaining that I was taking it purely “for fun” she was a little shocked. Red ink always made me nervous, so when I saw my final with a long note written in red ink my heart sank a little until I read it. Next to my ‘A’ she had a list of her other classes for me to take “for fun” if I was interested. I was hooked.

4 comments:

  1. That is very inspiring. I have started NaNoWriMo several times and always gave up early in the month. I still consider myself a beginning writer until finally a couple weeks ago I started a blog and decided to write something every day, focusing on short stories for now until I develop the discipline to write. I think it's fantastic that you've managed to win NaNoWriMo. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atta girl! Writing is hard at all levels, but the best advice I ever read was: Just show up. And I do every morning. Now, walking the path to publication is a whole 'nuther topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get all the best spirits and wines at Duty Free Depot!

    All the popular brand name drinks for unbeatable low price tags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teeth Night Guard is offering precise fitting and high quality custom made teeth guards.

    ReplyDelete

Add your awesome here: