Saturday, April 24, 2021

#BookReview of Hello Universe by Erin Entrada Kelly #atozchallenge

Our theme for this year's A-to-Z Blogging Challenge is BOOK REVIEWS.  We don't normally post book reviews but it was fun to review some of the amazing books I've read in the last year.

U is for Hello Universe by Erin Entrada Kelly.

https://www.amazon.com/Hello-Universe-Erin-Entrada-Kelly/dp/006241416X/

This book follows four middle school kids as their lives intersect one fateful day.  Virgil Salinas is a shy bookworm who feels like a misfit in his sports-crazy family.  Valencia Somerset is deaf, smart, brave, and a nature lover.  Kaori Tanaka believes in psychic powers and enlists her little sister to help her with projects.  And Chet Bullens is the town bully who needs to be put in his place.  One day, Chet pulls a prank on Virgil which results in Virgil and his guinea pig trapped at the bottom of a well.  The girls get together to search for him.

Told in four POV, Hello Universe is a diverse, character-based story about friendship and being different.  I first started reading this as an e-book but I couldn't get into it so didn't finish.  This has happened to me before, and when it happens, I try a different format.  I was able to finish the audio book, and I did enjoy it, although it did move a bit slow for me.  If you like character driven stories or literary fiction, you'll probably enjoy this book.

Three stars.



No comments: