Friday, July 2, 2021

Query Friday: Query Support Group

 

Happy Friday!

How is it going in the query trenches?

Over here it’s a bit like

 

Tomorrow will be the one-month anniversary of my querying journey with this novel. I sent out to a very small group to test my query and or first pages (depending on the agent requirements) and I’m glad I started out small. Out of my 9 initial queries I got 7 rejections, 1 referral to another agent at the same agency (sent same day), and one still pending response. I utilize QueryTracker.net (premium) and that site gives me a beautiful timeline breakdown of all my queries.

 

 

If you’re data obsessed like me it’s a beautiful thing, plus I feel like the little response faces totally articulate my feelings.

I really believe in this story, so I am trying to stay positive. I’m enlisting help on my query from multiple sources, asking beta readers and twitter friends to review my first pages, and using my extra time to polish in every way imaginable. There are multiple free and paid services you can use to improve both your query and first pages. If you’re in the same place as me and know something needs tweaking, I’d encourage you to use all the free sources you can find first and then explore the paid ones as they are an investment. If you know of free or paid resources our community can utilize, please drop them in the comments below.

If you are just looking for someone to commiserate or celebrate with, please comment below or reach out to me on twitter (@midlifecreative) using the #querysupportgroup hashtag. We could all benefit from some writer friends who “get it.”


Look forward to meeting you all!

Brandy

No comments: