Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Spotlight on New Book Debut Author Susan Dalessandro

Operation Awesome Spotlight #20Questions in #2021 of #NewBook Debut Author posted by @JLenniDorner of @OpAwesome6


Complex Solutions: a young adult coming of age thriller by Susan Dalessandro


1- - You tweet a lot of what appear to be excerpts. Are they from this book, or from what you're working on next?

Yes, most of what I tweet (Word of the day) is from my debut novel, Complex Solutions, but some of it is from my current Dual POV YA WIP (still nameless) that is about 2/3 written.

2- Would you please, in 160 characters or less, give a #WriteTip ?

'Be Concise' I'm stealing that from my publisher, Rhetoric Askew, because if you can say something in fewer words, say it.

3- What most motivates you to read a new book?

I'm motivated to read a new book by the desire to lose myself in another world, usually a YA world, which is my favorite to read.

4- What is the best part about running marathons?

Best part of running marathons is the sheer challenge of it. It takes months of training, setting aside a block of time on the weekend to do your long run with the anticipation of preparing to run 26.2 miles on race day. And Race Day doesn't always go as planned. I've had my share of 'bad races' I had GI issues, bad weather, or it just wasn't my day!

5- Would you share a picture with us of your book with your dogs?

#NewBook #DebutAuthor #2021Books Susan Dalessandro #YA #thriller


6- Are you as good at math as Lexi?

I am not as good at math as Lexi, but I do have a math background, with an M.A. in Applied Math. I've always been fascinated by the unproven theorems in mathematics.

7- What's your Twitter handle, and do you have two or three writer friends on there to shout-out to for #WriterWednesday ?

My Twitter handle is: @Writerdale27 . I'd love to give a shout-out to @jomega22, @AlfanoLisa, @AmyCBeckinsale.

8- Do you have a favorite #bookstagram image or account/ profile?

I follow a lot of #bookstagram accounts, but one of my favorites is @yabookscentral

9- Are you a Plotter, Pantser, or Plantser, and how did you adopt that style?

I am definitely a Plantser. I usually have a rough outline that I write down on paper, but the story usually changes--sometimes a great deal!--once I start typing it out on my laptop.

10- What does your basic writing schedule look like, and how often do you write?

My basic writing schedule is to write whenever I have 'free' time. I work full-time (currently from home) so I try to get writing done once I come in from running with my dogs and before I start my job. Also, I get as much writing done as possible on the weekends.

11- What is your favorite book by someone else, what's the author's Twitter handle, and what do you love most about that book? #FridayReads book recommendation time!

Author name: Jennifer Armentrout @JLArmentrout
Title: If There's No Tomorrow
Love because: For me, it's the ultimate give-me-all-the-feels YA book. I've read it more than once.


12- What emotions do you hope your book will evoke for the reader?

I want readers to connect with Lexi, to empathize with her as she experiences pain, guilt, loneliness and of course, happiness.

13- What kind of impact do you hope your book will have?

I hope the book and specifically, the characters, stay with people long after they've finished reading. For me, those are the best kinds of books. I hope readers maybe see themselves in Lexi or others they know, and know there is always hope, always someone to talk to, that you should never be afraid of asking for help.

14- What is your favorite creative non-writing activity to do?

My favorite creative non-writing activity is running. Running itself, may not be considered creative, but it's where I get a lot of the ideas for my stories and where I work through difficult scenes.

15- diversebooks.org #WeNeedDiverseBooks What's your favorite book with a diverse main character?

My favorite book with a diverse main character is When Dimple Met Rishi, an entertaining, heartwarming book with realistic, sympathetic characters.

16- What method do you feel is the best way to get book reviews?

I've found that posting in groups on Goodreads is one way to find bloggers and reviewers who will review your book. Posting on Instagram helps too. Many authors use their newsletter as the number one way to get book reviews, but I'm still working on that. I have a monthly newsletter, but I think it needs an overhaul!

17- What was the deciding factor in your publication route?

I went the Traditional Small Press route, after querying agents and then being offered a contract from Rhetoric Askew for Complex Solutions. I know I could never go the self-published route (I have the utmost respect and admiration for those authors who do) because doing all the editing, publishing, etc... myself would be overwhelming.

18- What's the biggest writing goal you hope to accomplish in your lifetime?

My biggest writing goal in my lifetime has been partly accomplished. I'm published! But I'd also hope my stories impact readers and they think of me as 'one of their favorite authors'. That would be awesome!

19- Would you please ask our audience a question to answer in the comments?

I'd like to ask the audience: What makes a good story for you? Is it the characters? The plot? The prose? Or a combination of more than one thing?

20- Anything else you would care to share about your book and yourself?
#NewBook #DebutAuthor #2021Books Susan Dalessandro #YA #thriller

I'd like to share one quote from Lexi, my MC, that I post a lot, that sums up what my book is about: 'Math is my safe space. With math, there's only one answer. No gray area. Multiple paths to a solution, but only one solution. Math comforts me, like running. I enjoy running. Maybe because they're both solitary activities. I'm good at those kinds of things. It's the social stuff I have trouble with.' This quote sums up me as well!

My social media:
@Writerdale27
Instagram: @sd27auth
Facebook: https://facebook.com/susan.dalessandro.5817
goodreads.com/author/show/20375681.Susan_Dalessandro
https://bookbub.com/profile/susan-dalessandro


Complex Solutions: a young adult coming of age thriller by Susan Dalessandro

No comments: