Thursday, August 4, 2011

Focus on the Words

You know, this whole writing thing can be hard. And I know you've heard it a million times before :) But..well...it's true. And sometimes it's hard to focus on what's important, on what I really want, what my goal really is.

I want to be successful at what I love to do.

Not rich, or famous, or a permanent fixture on every bestselling list out there (although yeah, that would be nice) :D But, just successful at what I love to do. I want to write. See my books in the hands of my readers. See them enjoy my stories. And hopefully help my family a little in the process :)

But often, instead of keeping that goal in mind, I focus on how I want to do it all, be the best, be everything - mom extraordinaire whose children are the best behaved, cleanest, well-fed, most incredible students in school, best all around children EVER; successful author who sells every book she writes within days of sending them out; marketing genius who merely has to mention her books' names to have droves of people lining up to buy them...in short, I want to be like her:


and if I could pull off that outfit and chase down sticky-fingered kids in high heeled boots, more power to me :D

But I generally fall a little short of that lofty goal and end up more like this:
(except change out that beer for a root beer because ooo I loves me some root beer!)

I want to be the one at the front of the pack, the one winning the big publishing race!

But...I sometimes get caught up in watching where everyone else is in the race and end up feeling more like this:

And you know, that's when I have to stop and remind myself what is really important. Remind myself why I'm doing this in the first place.

I love to write. I want to write. Yes, I want my books plastered all over the NYT Best seller's list. Yes, I want to make millions doing what I love so I can go buy a castle in Scotland and do nothing but scribble my next masterpiece up in my turret tower. It might even happen someday :)

But only one thing is for sure. Nothing I want will ever happen if I don't focus on the words. On the stories I want to tell. When the craziness of it all gets a little overwhelming, I have to force myself to settle down and take it one tiny step at a time...and focus on this:

Nothing else matters if I don't write :)

8 comments:

Katrina L. Lantz said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post, Michelle! That last picture gave me goosebumps. It's the little steps, one keystroke at a time, that gets us there. We waste time worrying about anything else.

Thanks for this!

Hermana Tiffany Garner said...

Great thoughts, Michelle! Sometimes we get lost in our goals and forget to just focus on what we love: writing. If we didn't love it, why would we have gotten ourselves into it in the first place?

Best of luck to you!

Janet Johnson said...

Love the pictures! But I love what you say more.

So simple, yet SO TRUE!

trump said...

Wonder woman brings back a lot of memory's growing up in the 1970s. Richard

LinWash said...

Great, inspiring post! (Well, I'm still laughing at the picture of the kitty with the Bud Light and the remote.) It's so easy to focus on the NYT bestsellers instead of on the road that took them there--a road paved one word at a time. So thanks for that reminder! I need to put down the remote, put away my procrastinating games of Spider Solitaire and finish that thesis draft, then get back to my novel!

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss michelle! cool post! for me i just only write cause i love love love to write stuff. i hope when i get way more old i dont ever forget that.
...hugs from lenny

Michelle McLean said...

Hi Lenny! Writing because you love it is an awesome reason :) I don't think you'll ever grow out of it - at least I never have! :)

Melodie said...

Hey wait...that cat is me. Are you spying with some kind of super secret writers-who-procrastinate camera? Unfair!

Also love this post. Very glad to know I'm not the only one who fights the demon of unrealistic expectations. :))