Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Incredible Knowledge of Writers

Photo credit
I am in awe of you.

Yeah, you. Everywhere I look in the online writing community, somebody is sharing a new tip, sometimes very complex ones, studying the writing craft, and passing on the knowledge. It's probably the most challenging time in the history of the world to be a writer, as far as competition goes.


I see a lot of talent in you. Sometimes it intimidates me.

Challenging as it is, it's also an exciting time to be a writer. I don't think it's ever been easier (or rather, more accessible) to learn about writing well. Every shortcoming I still have as a writer can be addressed if I only take the time to research it. And I don't have look beyond your amazing blogs to find my answers.

You are awesome.

You remember obscure information you Googled one time just to make your bat swarming scene more realistic. You understand what a character arc is, how conflict is different from creating tension, and how to check your characters against real people to write authentic reactions.

You continually inspire me by reminding me over and over again that JK Rowling had a slow start, and look how successful she was. You know Stephenie Meyer's how-I-got-published story in detail and which details aren't typical so I can feel better about taking FOREVER to get published.

In short, you use your acquired knowledge for good, sharing and paying it forward every chance you get.

Thank you for being on this journey, what sometimes feels like a mass exodus with no destination (Promised Land, where are you?). You remind me every day that not one of us makes it on our own.

And really, I wouldn't have it any other way. 

Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

Andrea Mack said...

One of the reasons I enjoy reading other writers' blogs is because they inspire me. I usually learn something new about writing. It is amazing to me that so many people are sharing what they know to help others.

PK HREZO said...

What a motivational post! This community rocks! So glad to be a part of it.

Becca Puglisi said...

Thank you so much for reminding us of the positive side of this journey. It's so easy to get bogged down in how hard it is to get published, how hard the craft of writing is to perfect, etc. Every once in awhile we need a reminder that there's a plus side to today's writing world: that it's easier than ever to perfect those trouble spots, and to link up with others so we don't have to make the trip alone. You guys are awesome!

Becca @ The Bookshelf Muse

Angela Ackerman said...

Here here! We're all in this together. I'm so grateful to everyone for being so generous in their sharing of knowledge! :)

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

LinWash said...

Thank you for being on the journey with us!

Laura Barnes said...

Thank you for this post. It's beautiful :)