Monday, February 24, 2014

Intro: Karen McCoy

Last week, I couldn't believe my luck when I was asked to join Operation Awesome! I look forward to contributing and learning as much as I can, especially with my first post on March 10.

Until then, here's a bit of background:

Though I live in Arizona, I was born and raised in California and still consider it home. I may be able to give Katrina a run for her money--I didn't see snow fall until I was fifteen. That same year, I received my first paycheck for writing-- $25 for an article in the local paper.

I first got the writing bug when I read The Babysitters Club series at age eight, but almost gave up after a bad grade during a creative writing class in college. Fast forward years later, to an HR training for my librarian job in 2008. Eight hours of duh. So I got out a pen and started my first novel, in my head ever since that first writing class.

Since then, I've completed it, and written three others. In 2012, I published an article in School Library Journal entitled "What Teens are Really Reading," and a post for the website Dear Teen Me. The following year, I wrote a chapter in Now Write! Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror, available here. I'm currently working toward my MFA in Creative Writing from Northern Arizona University (NAU).

Some of my other interests include jazz dancing, singing, and traveling. I joined NAU's improv troupe, NAUghty Bits, and also write sketch scripts for them, which is tons of fun.

I keep up a blog, The Writer Librarian, and tweet on occasion. For more, you can visit my website here.

Thanks, everyone--I can't wait to get started!

3 comments:

Angelica R. Jackson said...

Welcome to the group, Karen! :)

Angela Townsend said...

Welcome Karen! So glad to see you here :)

Karen McCoy said...

Thanks, all!