Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Meet Chinedu Enechi in this Debut Author Spotlight

Debut Author Spotlight from @JLenniDorner on @OpAwesome6

Ifechidere by Chinedu Enechi


1- What is your favorite philosophy book?

Self -Constitution” by Christine Korsgaard.

2- Can you share a story from your life that shows who you are as a person and why you are a writer?

My mom fell ill in 1998 and her business crumbled as a result. We had to survive on only my dad’s salary. Even then, the major part of my dad's salary was used for hospital bills, so there was little or nothing left for feeding and other housekeeping needs. The worst part was that no doctor could diagnose what was wrong with her. In Africa, where science fails and doctors say they can't do anything else, we try unorthodox methods but even that didn't work for my mom and things got worse. Things became so difficult that we started missing classes at school. Sometimes, my dad would have to skip work or even the days he went to work, he always had to rush back to check on her. Because of my mom's health problems, I determined to speak to people through my writing. My mom's life story and my family generally, motivate me to write. Though my mom is gone, I feel like I can continue to honor her and her legacy through my writing.

3- What ignited your passion for writing?

Life generally, Nature, people’s experience and mine too.

4- I read that you're working on a story dealing with the culture of gender age differences in marriage. Is gender equality an important issue for you and why?

Yes, it is. I detest inequality and the problems it causes. I love when everyone is treated the same, given equal opportunities and treated fairly.

5- Would you share pictures with us of the environment you grew up in?



6- What are some of your short and long term writing goals?

My short-term goal is to write things that will help someone out of an affliction they may be undergoing at the moment they're reading my book. Then long term, I will love my stories to always be remembered by people who have been helped as a result. Even when I am gone, I want to be remembered through my writing, and I want my future children and grandchildren to reap the fruit of my labor financially and socially.

7- The University of Nigeria's logo states "to restore the dignity of man." Do you feel your studies at Nsukka have empowered you to aid in that noble mission?

Sure, it really was of immense help. In fact, I wrote “Ifechidere” when I was in school. Being in Nsukka was of huge value to my writing.

8- Would you share a recipe with us?


Ingredients:
Method: Boil some water, meat and fish to which you add a small quantity of oil. When it boiled, you add the pounded coco-yam mixed with red oil. Grind some pepper with ogiri, Maggi, and allow to boil till you notice the pounded coco-yam had started melting. Add the oha leaf and okazi leaf and salt to taste. Wait till the oha leaf and okazi leaf are softer by then the coco-yam would have dissolved. Your soup is now done!

9- Who is currently your biggest fan? What does that person love most (or "ship") about your debut novel?

My biggest fan is Ike Gift Ifunanya and he loves my storylines.

10- What emotions do you hope your book will evoke for the reader, and is there a particular scene you hope will resonate with readers?

The reader will feel sympathetic towards Ifechidere, especially when they read about her ordeals at the hands of her foster parents. They might also feel sorry for Steve because of some things that happened to him.

11- What most helped you to improve your writing craft?

Both praise and criticism. Praise helps me to continue my good work in meeting my fans expectations and demands while criticism helps me to tighten any loose ends.

12- What is the most memorable trait of one of your characters?

Ozioma’s forgiveness of Onukwube.

* 13- #DiversityBingo2017 Which squares does your book cover on the card?

Romance [*interviewer note: Covers the Book by and Author of Color square]

14- Which character has your favorite Personality Contradiction?

Steve.

15- As a reader, what most motivates you to buy a new book to read?

The synopsis and the cover page.

16- How will you measure your publishing performance?

I am happy that publishing happened and I believe that things will continue to progress.

17- What is your favorite movie?

Tyler Perry's “Why Did I Get Married?

18- What was the deciding factor in your publication route?

Small press because I wanted to be carried along in the publication and marketing of the book.

19- What discussion topic would you would like the readers of this interview to remark on in the comments?

How my past impacts on, but doesn't negatively affect my present or my future.

20- Anything else you would care to share about your book (an excerpt or blurb) and yourself (short bio, social media)?

“Ifechidere” is based on a real life story; my mother's real life story, actually. Also, the issues surrounding and caused by the osu caste system are real, even today; it happened to a friend of mine.

Chinedu Enechi is an African writer who enjoys telling Africa stories, that raise questions about ethics in a bid to pave ways for reformation of some societal ills – especially as they relate to different forms and expressions of domestic violence. He is a graduate of Philosophy from the University of Nigeria Nsukka and an MA student of Political and Social Philosophy at the Nnamdi Azikiwe University in Awka, Nigeria.

Facebook: Chinedu Enechi
Twitter: @ChineduEnechi
Amazon Author Account: www.amazon.com/author/chineduenechi
Smashwords

No comments: