Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Kate S Martin answers #13Questions in OA's Debut Author Spotlight

Operation Awesome Spotlight #13Questions of #NewBook Debut Author posted by @JLenniDorner of @OpAwesome6 2022

13 Questions shine Operation Awesome's Spotlight
on this
2022 Debut Author



Are You Okay, Elliot Hart? by Kate S Martin


1- Are there ways that teaching high school English helped you write your book?

Being a high school teacher helps me understand teenagers a little bit more. I have daily insights into their quirks, strengths, and struggles. Creative writing is on our syllabus, so there’s writing techniques I share with my pupils and also use in my own writing, but to be honest the students have it much harder! They eventually have to plan and write a short story on the spot and to a mark scheme! I would struggle with that. My pupils often don’t believe me when I tell them how incredibly talented they are.

2- Would you please, in 160 characters or less, give a #WriteTip ?

If you want some inspiration, look at @TimClarePoet podcast. His couch to 80K podcast helped start my debut novel.
Kate S Martin answers #13Questions in OA's Debut Author Spotlight #NewBook #DebutAuthor #2022Books #13Questions
Going into schools and delivering workshops on empathy

3- What emotions do you hope your book will evoke for the reader?

I would like readers to develop empathy for others. Elliot and Josh have difficult home lives but deal with it very differently. If we stop to think why someone is quiet or angry and ask how they are, it might just be the kindness they need that day. Josh is very aggressive whereas Elliot hides at the back of the classroom, but both are hurting and need help.

4- Would you share a tip about dealing with bullying?

Always tell someone you trust what is happening and how it makes you feel, and know that you are not alone.

5- Would you share a picture with us of your book in a summer setting?

Kate S Martin answers #13Questions in OA's Debut Author Spotlight #NewBook #DebutAuthor #2022Books #13Questions


6- How do you support your fellow debut authors and have any of them supported you?

I find the writing community incredibly supportive. One author helped me create a website whilst another invited me onto their podcast. They are a constant source of advice and encouragement. I feel very lucky. There’s no judgement or comparison, just understanding about the highs and lows of publishing a book. I find any opportunity to shout about their books too, especially at work.

7- Time to double-down on social media! What's your Twitter handle, and do you have two or three writer friends on there to shout-out to for #WriterWednesday ?
Also, can you please recommend a favorite #bookstagram account profile?


My Twitter handle is @katemartin100 .
I would shout out to @LouFinchWrites whose book, The Eternal Return of Clara Hart, is out this month. No relation to Elliot Hart by the way! She’s a great support. Also, @AshiLockie and @TellTaleHeart who are very talented writers and always incredibly supportive of others.

I think @ukyabooks on Instagram is a good account to follow. Championing UK YA authors!

8- What is your favorite creative non-writing activity to do?

I have a two year old Miniature Schnauzer called Jessie. If my head becomes too cluttered, a long walk along the canal with her really helps.
Kate S Martin answers #13Questions in OA's Debut Author Spotlight #NewBook #DebutAuthor #2022Books #13Questions #dog Kate S Martin answers #13Questions in OA's Debut Author Spotlight #NewBook #DebutAuthor #2022Books #13Questions #dog Kate S Martin answers #13Questions in OA's Debut Author Spotlight #NewBook #DebutAuthor #2022Books #13Questions #dog


9- In what ways are the main characters in your book diverse? diversebooks.org #WeNeedDiverseBooks

#MentalHealthMatters I hope my book will put a spotlight on young carers and mental health. Elliot’s mum suffers from agoraphobia and depression. His daily struggles are not always ‘seen’ at school. I hope young carers might recognise themselves in this book and it prompts some important discussions with those around them.

10- What's the biggest writing goal you hope to accomplish in your lifetime? #WriteGoal #BucketList #WriterBucketList

Honestly? I dream of being recognised by EmpathyLab. Elliot Hart was written with the hope that it would promote empathy for others. I would love to continue writing books that encourage readers to be kind to each other.

11- What was the query process like for you?

I initially wrote Are you Okay, Elliot Hart? with no intention of getting it published. It was personal therapy for me to deal with some struggles in my own life. I left it for a year and then thought, let’s test the waters! I wrote a query letter and sent it to some small publishers. Fortunately, Creative James Media asked for a full manuscript and sent me an offer soon afterwards.

12- Would you please ask our audience an intriguing question to answer in the comments?

What’s a book, a TV programme and a toy you remember from your childhood?

13- Anything else you would care to share about your book and yourself?

An excerpt from Are you Okay, Elliot Hart? It’s a dual narrative and this is Elliot on the way home from school.
Kate S Martin answers #13Questions in OA's Debut Author Spotlight #NewBook #DebutAuthor #2022Books #13Questions #dog

I’m walking faster than usual, not only because it’s raining heavily, and I am soaked through, but I’m angry. I’m not sure if I am angry at my mum or the whole damn situation. I want to get home, get out of these stupid clothes, and hide under a duvet with my book. I’m reading To Kill a Mockingbird now. Mr. Marshall recommended it to me, so Sydney found a copy at the library and put it aside. I’m up to the part where Miss Maudie’s house has burnt down, and I’m eager to know what will happen next. Marching past the terraced houses, I can’t help but sneak another look in. I see one house where two boys are running around their living rooms with lightsabers; I see dads working on computers in their offices and mums coming home from work being greeted with hugs and laughter. I see lives upon lives that I don’t have and what I want, so very, very much. I want a home with noise and chaos and giggles. I want younger brothers that annoy the hell out of me and a dad that lifts me up onto his shoulders and ducks down, so I don’t hit my head on the door frame. I want family dinners around a kitchen table, where someone shouts at you if you leave without asking permission. I want. I want. I want. I once heard Tom say I want, doesn’t get but it’s not like I’m asking for lots of money or a new house. I want a normal family.

Website: http://katemartinauthor.com
Twitter: @katemartin100
Instagram: @katemartin100
Facebook: https://facebook.com/groups/elliothart/


Are You Okay, Elliot Hart? by Kate S Martin

No comments: