Tuesday, August 30, 2022

That one writer you always return to

I do not remember exactly which book by Avi I read first. I know that I read several in a row as a kid, which is normally what I do when I like the author's work. I still do this as an adult, getting on kicks and reading marathons. Avi is one of the writers I have followed for decades.


As a kid, I was very lucky to have a library that brought in authors for talks, signings, and visits. Avi was one of my favorites. He was funny with great writing tips and memorable jokes. 

With the advent of blogs, I subscribed to Avi's blog and have enjoyed reading his posts and books since. It is refreshing to know that even with writing so many books, Avi still writes multiple drafts and heavily edits in addition to reading his work out loud to his wife. This gives me hope for my own messy drafts.

Do you have an author that you always return to? With rereading their books or following them online? Let me know in the comments. 

1 comment:

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Ray Bradbury was a favorite author ever since I was a teenager. I discovered Avi when I was teaching 6th grade. I love his range of what themes and issues he raises in his books. I havene't read all of them, but I've read a few. I didn't realize he has a blog.