Monday, June 10, 2013

An Outdoor Room of My Own

There's a famous essay by Virginia Woolf about a woman needing "a room of her own" to write fiction, and for me that holds very true. For me to write new words (well, they're not entirely new--I merely put them in a certain order) in a draft, I need large blocks of uninterrupted time.

As I discovered when my husband was on sabbatical, having another person in the house doesn't lend itself to uninterrupted writing time. Even if he wasn't popping his head into my office to ask a question, I could often feel him not asking a question. Trying to wait until I took a break, but interrupting my concentration just the same. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have kids in that mix too! All you writing parents have my sincere admiration.

Anyway, my husband and I eventually came to an agreement that when my door was closed, that meant I was unavailable. But, my office is pretty small and sometimes it's cozy, and other times it feels confining. So I'm very glad that we were able to put up our gazebo kit and now I have this space to write in:


Can't wait to sit out there in a rainstorm! Plus, a touch of whimsy in the nearby garden art inspires me to be more playful and childlike.



What about you? Are you one of those writers who thrives on the chaos and noise in a busy coffee place? Do you wake up at odd hours just to have some peace and quiet?

6 comments:

Angela Townsend said...

I prefer to write in noise and chaos. I also like to have soft music or a movie playing in the background.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new space!!!

I tried writing in the bedroom with my laptop, then set up a desk in the living room, then moved the desk into my bedroom and tried that again. Nothing seemed to work--there were constant interruptions from the kids (or hubby). Finally at the end of last year, I talked with hubby about it and we ended up converting our storage shed/workroom in the back yard into a writing/craft room for me (the shed/workroom already had electricity running to it and everything). It's been amazing. That doesn't mean I still don't have interruptions, but at least they aren't as frequent. I've been able to get more done--and if I decide to do some crafting all my stuff is in one place (and I discovered when I moved into the room that I have a tremendous amount of craft things).

I hope you enjoy your space! It's made a huge difference for me.

Toni Kerr said...

I love long hours of uninterrupted quiet time. I need to work on that, because it happens so rarely!

Angelica R. Jackson said...

Thanks for the comments! I got to spend some time out in the gazebo this afternoon--not writing, but reading. And really, that counts as research and learning craft, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

I love writing outside. I have a room designated as my writing room and it's filled with how-to books and collages and story binders . . . but it's in the basement . . . with a teeny window. I write outside as often as I can. I also like to write at coffee shops. I find that I can tune out the noise when the words are flowing and then look up for inspiration when I'm stuck. I'm jealous of your writing space outside. It looks very inspirational and peaceful. :) -RB Austin

Unknown said...

Uninterrupted time in your own magical place – that’s perfect formula for writing an impeccable fiction. How’s your time in the gazebo? Are you thriving on its serenity to write a good literature? Have a good day! – Mark, Hampton Roads Landscaping