Sunday, June 9, 2013

Summertime, when the writing is easy

Ready to earn your writing badge? Join Camp NaNoWriMo or another writing challenge.
Is writing ever easy? Well, no. But this year, I'm going to try make summer my writing season, easy or not. I've got a file full of WIPs and outlines, and by the end of the summer I'm going to polish off a couple picture books and make solid progress on my next novel.

I know a lot of writers with day jobs as teachers and school librarians look forward to summer as a time to work on their writing. For a lot of writers, it's business as usual at the day job, with writing during nights and weekends. And other writers with children find summer their least productive time, when kids are home from school. Operation Awesome's Toni Kerr wrote about challenges and strategies for handling the season earlier this week. Becky Mahoney wrote about the frustrations and agonies of the summer publishing slow-down for writers who are querying or on sub.


For me, it's not a great time to write -- children, day job, and the distractions of summer fun. But I've realized no time is really good -- the only time is the time we have. So for me, this summer is it!

Need some inspiration? Summer is also the season for writers' conferences, retreats, and workshops, small and large. Here are a few of the biggest:

Camp NaNoWriMo - Pick your summer month, then write a novel during a month-long virtual writing retreat. Join now for the July session! 

ALA Chicago - The summer conference of the American Library Association is where librarians convene and rub elbows with writers like Alice Walker, Khaled Hosseini, Temple Grandin, and Ann Patchett. (June 27 - July 2)

The 42nd Annual SCBWI Summer Conference - The Los Angeles meeting of SCBWI is about craft and networking with fellow children's writers and illustrators, like Laurie Halse Anderson, Kirby Larson, Jon Scieszka, Mac Barnett, and Richard Peck. And be sure to check your regional SCBWI for more events.  (August 2-5)

What are your summer plans? More writing? Less? What are your goals? Do you have any events on the calendar, or know of any others? Any books you're especially interested in reading?

4 comments:

Holly Vance said...

Summer is probably my most productive time;I've already gotten a head start.

Marcia said...

I just signed up for Camp NaNo, too. What sold me was the fact that you can set your own word count goal.

Angelica R. Jackson said...

Normally, one season is not more productive than another for me, but this summer will be a struggle to get much writing done. My mom had major back surgery so I've been going over there a lot to help out. However, it is a good distraction while I'm waiting for a critique back from an editor!

Jennifer Jensen said...

Summer is often a good time for me, but this year I'm taking two (Two!) summer college classes so I don't think I'll have time to breathe, let alone write. If I do get a chance, it will be short, light stuff while I wait for replies to my agent queries. Which means I'm off to read the Summer Slowdown article you linked above. Thanks!