Tuesday, July 1, 2014

July Mystery Agent Entry #6: LOVE IS FAKE, YOU KNOW

Title: LOVE IS FAKE, YOU KNOW
Genre: YA Contemporary LGBTQ
Word count: 88,000 words

Logline: Torn between seeking the familiarity of harmful relationships and rising above a homophobic hometown in Ohio, bisexual teen Morgan creates new definitions of morality to avoid settling for a life riddled with depression and angst.




6-24-02 Monday 5:03AM

I have a weird secret ambition that this journal will be discovered and I’ll end up like Anne Frank or something. Except nothing I write flows quite like Anne’s stuff did. And with any luck I won’t be dying any time soon.

What pushed me over the edge toward starting this journal tonight was a fight with Jacob. We were having a pretty normal conversation about how we can’t wait for band camp when out of nowhere he asked where I wanted to sneak off to when we got there. I sputtered until the only words I could think of came out: “To do what?”

“C’mon Morgan, you know what I wanna do.”

I told him I wasn’t ready to “do stuff.” Where did his idea even come from? I have no idea where his idea even came from. I mean, we’ve only been going out for 55 days and we’ve only met twice! He hasn’t even kissed me yet.

His response came out as a hiss through the earpiece: “Don’t act like you’re not easier than that.”

When I reminded him that I’m just not like that, he realized his mistake. He apologized a million times and said he was sooooo sorry and he absolutely does not think of me as “easy.” It’s not that I don't believe him…I really do trust him. It was just a misunderstanding, right?

And honestly, I’m still not sure what he wants to do at band camp.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice set up! Morgan's naivete and Jacob's typical guy behavior of making that "easy" comment and then apologizing for it when he realized it might hinder his chances with Morgan, are spot on. I think there's a lot of room for growth for Morgan as a character and I'd be interested to see that happen (:

J Lenni Dorner said...

It's very interesting. Using the word "idea" three times in two sentences was a bit jarring for me.