Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Mystery Blogger Contest #5-8: Guess the Lie and Win


Source

In case you missed our BIG news at Operation Awesome, we are welcoming eight new bloggers to the owlery. 

We could just announce their names, but what fun would that be? 

So instead, we're holding a Mystery Blogger contest, and you have 4 more chances to win a critique by one of the newbies. The first four Mystery Bloggers were revealed yesterday:

Mystery Blogger #1: Angelica R. Jackson

Mystery Blogger #2: Becky Mahoney

Mystery Blogger #3: Max Gladstone

Mystery Blogger #4: Abby Annis


Today we'll meet four more Mystery Bloggers! They've each given us three truths and a lie about themselves in random order. To win a Mystery Blogger's critique, guess which fun fact is really the lie. Out of those who guess correctly, a random name will be drawn for the prize critique and announced tomorrow -- along with secret identities and the real truth about their fun facts.

Four people are offering critiques today if you guess their lies correctly.

*rubs hands together*

Here are the final four: 


Mystery Blogger #5: (prize for guessing right: random entry for a choice of 2 PB manuscript critiques {700 words or less} OR 5 pages critique of a middle grade novel)
  • Author Verna Aardema blurbed my first award-winning book.
  • To date, three people have had to save my life by performing the Heimlich Maneuver. Each incident involved me talking too much at the table and an oversized piece of steak.
  • I single-handedly delivered a baby in less than 50 minutes in a bathroom.
  • I've been in a commercial and a movie, seen only from behind a ketchup bottle in each one.


Mystery Blogger #6: (prize for guessing right: random entry for a first 5 pages critique)
  • I almost cut Rachel Weisz with a tappanyaki knife as she was being stood up for a date.
  • I once hunted boar with the natives of Kauai, with nothing more than a knife and a pack of hounds.
  • I broke through the 18th mile wall of a marathon without ever running a mile.
  • Michael Jordan and I used to sell underwear together.

Mystery Blogger #7: (prize for guessing right: random entry for a first chapter critique)
  • I have eight years of Martial Arts training, and secretly look forward to the day my skills can be used for more than just writing. 
  • I did the unthinkable by sending a nude picture in reply to an editor's form rejection.
  • I love cooking, especially when the wonders of spice and flare are appreciated by my characters. 
  • I built a writer's cave disguised as a treehouse, and am patiently waiting for the kids to lose interest so I can reclaim it as my own.

Mystery Blogger #8: (prize for guessing right: random entry for a first 5 pages critique)

  • When Mystery blogger’s first novel was 80% finished, her hard drive, along with her zip drive backup, were deleted by a helpful twelve-year-old. There were many bitter tears, but she pieced it back together from old pages she’d given her preschoolers to scribble on.
  • Mystery blogger wrote a middle grade novel while driving with a van full of judo kids into the mountains of Idaho for a tournament. One of them asked her when she was going to write “a real book.” Surprisingly, he is still alive.
  • Mystery Blogger’s favorite rejection is her query letter with “No!” written on the top in red ink.
  • Mystery Blogger gathered all her old-school paper rejections and papier-mâchéed them into a piñata. She filled it with chocolate and took a bat to it when she signed her first book deal.

Which one is the lie?
Guess only one lie for each Mystery Blogger, and list your guesses in a comment below.

Good luck!

(Remember, winners will be announced tomorrow along with the big reveal of who these people are and what lies they told you.) *cue ominous, mysterious music*

6 comments:

Haley said...

Okay, just guessing wildly and hoping for the best!

#5 - I single-handedly delivered a baby in less than 50 minutes in a bathroom.

#6 - Michael Jordan and I used to sell underwear together.

#7 - I did the unthinkable by sending a nude picture in reply to an editor's form rejection. (Pretty funny lie or not!)

#8 - Mystery Blogger gathered all her old-school paper rejections and papier-mâchéed them into a piñata. She filled it with chocolate and took a bat to it when she signed her first book deal.

Chelsey said...

#5 I've been in a commercial and a movie, seen only from behind a ketchup bottle in each one.
#6 I once hunted boar with the natives of Kauai, with nothing more than a knife and a pack of hounds.
#7 I did the unthinkable by sending a nude picture in reply to an editor's form rejection.
#8 Mystery blogger wrote a middle grade novel while driving with a van full of judo kids into the mountains of Idaho for a tournament. One of them asked her when she was going to write “a real book.” Surprisingly, he is still alive.

letmebeyoursong said...

#5 I single-handedly delivered a baby in less than 50 minutes in a bathroom.
#6 I almost cut Rachel Weisz with a tappanyaki knife as she was being stood up for a date.
#7 I built a writer's cave disguised as a treehouse, and am patiently waiting for the kids to lose interest so I can reclaim it as my own.
#8 Mystery Blogger gathered all her old-school paper rejections and papier-mâchéed them into a piñata. She filled it with chocolate and took a bat to it when she signed her first book deal.

Anonymous said...

Mystery Blogger #5: I think the lie is:

I've been in a commercial and a movie, seen only from behind a ketchup bottle in each one.


Mystery Blogger #6: I think the lie is:

I once hunted boar with the natives of Kauai, with nothing more than a knife and a pack of hounds.


Mystery Blogger #7: I think the lie is:

I did the unthinkable by sending a nude picture in reply to an editor's form rejection.

Mystery Blogger #8: I think the lie is:

Mystery Blogger gathered all her old-school paper rejections and papier-mâchéed them into a piñata. She filled it with chocolate and took a bat to it when she signed her first book deal.


Rebecca T. Little (rebeccatlittle@aol.com)

Anonymous said...

MB #6 I once hunted boar with the natives of Kauai, with nothing more than a knife and a pack of hounds.
MB #7 I did the unthinkable by sending a nude picture in reply to an editor's form rejection.
MB #8 Mystery Blogger gathered all her old-school paper rejections and papier-mâchéed them into a piñata. She filled it with chocolate and took a bat to it when she signed her first book deal.

Great guessing game and they made it interesting.
:-) Dawn Allen

Lynn Lindquist said...


#6- Hunted boar

#7- Nude picture

#8- Papier-macheed rejections